30-06 single shot, bentaz is old now!

So I just bought this Bergara single banger.

I figure theres not much chance that I’ll get a chance to hunt anything big enough that the 06 won’t drop, but I wondered whats the smallest thing thing I can realistically hunt with it?
I really only hunt for meat or at least I always try to eat the animals I kill, excluding foxes and cats I guess.
Is it to much gun for goats or fallow?

1 Like

Well that depends almost entirely on shot placement, projectile construction and just how much meat you want to salvage. You will probably loose a fair bit of shoulder meat if thats where you’re shooting them… head shots are always a good option…

1 Like

It would be heaps better if its was a .500 S&WMag :grin:

I would of bought that off you if I’d known you were selling it mate!
Just like i want first option on @juststarting’s 45-70.

Noted.

1 Like

With a 180gner, you can take buffs. They take fuggin Bison with them in the states.

1 Like

Rabbits??? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Damn, I miss rabbits. I used to shoot hundreds of them a year and eat plenty of them, I hardly ever see one since I moved up here.

2 Likes

I know @Oldbloke loads 110gn cast pills and pushs them nice n slow and was using them on foxes.

2 Likes

The 06 is very accurate with cast bullets too…nice long neck, keeps the bullets base in the neck portion of the case…

I’ve just ordered some rings for it, decided to go with the 1-4×30 scope for this.

1 Like

Bought this today to chuck on the 06 after trying my vortex crossfire red dot on it a deciding the lense is to small for a decent field of view.
More glass, red dot and 2x mag to boot.

1 Like

I have a box of 150gn hawksbury river boolits, so ill have to give them a crack. What powders are good for cast pills in the ol’ Git off my lawn!?

It will run on quite a few different powders depending on the projectile weight. Powders from 8208 to 2209 the most common.

Thanks @sungazer. Iwas specifically asking after powders for cast loads, is that what your referring to?
I have 1000 150gn optimus that i was planning to load. I had planned on loading those with 2206h, its my go to powder in almost all my rifles. Its just so versatile in everything from my .222 all the way up to .303 and 8x57mm.
I’m only after hunting accuracy and I would rarely shoot at animals over 100m away.

I used to get pretty good results with trail boss and hawksbury river bullets in my Arisaka. I still have a tub of that stashed away. Ive read about people loading reduced loads of 06h for cast pills, but I’ve not done it myself though.

1 Like

06H is a great cast powder! Shot my best scores with it, and cast bullets in my 308…33gns, behind the Lee 155gn SP i think…

1 Like

Fucking 19 days and my scope still hasnt bloody come. :disappointed_relieved:

Bugger!! Where’s it coming from?

From Xhunter in Melbourne. I just jumped on their website to see if theres any tracking info and the c@nts have not even sent it.
They have a chat function, but theres no c@nt there until tomorrow.

Dont like the sound of that for you. I bought a scope from them recently also and it shipped same day. I bet if they had one it would have shipped. Have always had good service from them.