Which type of gun is your favourite?

I chose shotgun. Ironically not because it is the one I reach for first from the safe, or necessarily my favourite, but because if I lived on a bleak planet where I could only have one firearm, it would be a 12g, and somehow that makes it my favourite by default.

Do you want the legal or layman’s definition?

From the DEW (SA gov) website: “Generally, land that is not privately owned and held under a Certificate of Title is Crown land. Crown land can be used by members of the community under different types of tenure, including licenses or leases or dedicated to Councils or government agencies. Under certain circumstances the community may purchase Crown land. The remaining Crown land is referred to as unalienated Crown land, this means that the ownership of the land has not been transferred from the “Crown” and the land is run by the State on behalf of the Crown”

In simple terms, it’s land that is owned by the government that doesn’t have an active lease (e.g grazing lease) or management plan (e.g. conservation park, recreational reserve) attached to it.

I’ve been trying to get a list of areas for quite a while and keep coming up against a brick wall. There is no “list”, you need to work out the land parcel number of an area you think might be unalienated crown land, and then they can check and say yes/no.

So pretty straight forward then lol

Rimfire is certainly a favorite it is easy to shoot, quite and cheap. A lot of fun can be had with a rimfire shooting deliberately at bunnies or quickly busting cans and having fun.
A CF is going to be the favorite if there is a serious job to be done. It has the punch and reach that a RF just cannot match, split vote at this time.

I selected “other” because I wanted to be different and couldn’t select all.
Seriously though, if forced I’d pick CFR…

Would have to be a cf rifle simply for variety of chamberings :beers:
PS lots of camels to be found around kulgera in the NT (just across the border from SA) where I believe ya can still hunt crown land :grinning:

That’s not bad, only 20hrs drive. I’ll look into it a bit

1 Like

Only 20 hours.

Dude it’s really only 10, coz you’ll have to drive half of it!

1 Like

Come on… If your keen 20 hours is a breeze

Unfortunately the public land hunting up there is restricted to just a couple of areas way up north.
Will need to find private property somewhere that’s not a guided wank hunt, maybe need to track down some indigenous lands?

So W.A is not looking to bad :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::laughing::laughing::laughing::wink::wink::wink::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Yeah ok, put the kettle on mate!

We may be 2 hours and 10 years behind everyone else but we still have a couple of good points.

1 Like

That sux! That’s the problem with qld as well. There’s plenty of camels out west but ya gotta find private property. Good luck :+1:

My favourite type of gun is one that hits where I aim it…

See the rest: posts were merged into an existing topic: Sighting in 22lr for Pest/Small Game Destruction

Advantages of a Flintlock Muzzle-loader.

• Ammo is less expensive than a modern equivalent caliber firearm.
  • The smoothbore is very versatile, being able to digest round ball, bird shot, & buckshot, or any combination of two of these (can also use minies/conical slugs).
  • The fusil is lighter to carry than a modern equivalent sized gun.
  • You can vary the load if needs be.
  • The smoothbore will digest other projectiles besides lead.
  • Lead can be retrieved from downed game & remoulded with a simple mould & lead ladle. This means that you can carry less lead, & more of the lighter gunpowder.
  • You can make your own gunpowder.
  • You can use the lock to make fire without using gunpowder.
  • You can use gunpowder for gunpowder tinder fire lighting if needs be.
  • IF the lock should malfunction (these are very robust & it is not likely) you can easily repair it if you are carrying a few spare springs & a few simple tools.
  • If you do not have any spare parts & the lock malfunctions, you can easily convert it to a tinderlock or matchlock & continue using it.
  • You do not need a reloader, brass shells, caps, or primers. The latter have been known to break down in damp conditions or if they are stored for too long.
  • Wadding for ball or shot is available from natural plant materials or homemade leather or rawhide.
  • Less chance of being affected by future ammunition control legislation.
  • Gunpowder is easily obtainable providing you have a muzzle-loader registered in your name regardless of caliber (NSW).
  • A .32 caliber flintlock rifle is more powerful than a .22 rimfire, less expensive to feed, more accurate over a greater distance, able to take small & medium sized game, & other than not being able to use shot (unless it is smoothbore), it has all the attributes of the other flintlocks. For larger game you can load with conical slugs, which of course you can make yourself in the field.
  • Damage from a .62 caliber or .70 caliber pistol or long arm is in the extreme. Wounded prey is unlikely to escape.
  • By using buck & ball you are unlikely to miss your target. This load is capable of taking out more than one target.
  • There is less kick-back to a muzzle-loading gun.
  • Antique Flintlock muzzle-loading guns do not require a license, registration, or a permit to purchase in NSW Australia.
2 Likes

Alot of good reasons there Keith.

I’d be suss of any firearm that has issues working or being loaded in the rain :blush:

Ones with big tubes, 12g shotguns and fiddy cals, i can see down the barrel, easier to clean, and when your mate shoves a projectile down the barrel i can use my car antenna to smash it out :joy: