What load/charge should I use, can I have a recipe for my new 223?

This is your friendly public service announcement.

What load/charge should I use, can I have a recipe for my new 223?

No, you absolutely cannot!

This is the best way of blowing your face off. Maybe, 9 out of 10 times you might be fine, but you only need one bad charge and you only have one stupid face.

Some reloading safety rules for new shooters, there are many, but these two are more common than they should be:

Never use other peoples reloads unless you are absolutely certain what they are (e.g. commercially purchased reloads where someone else is legally liable for your face and your gun); or someone who’s reloading skills you trust with your life (or close to it). I am being a little dramatic here, but like your mother told you - never accept sweets from a stranger; never accept reloads from a stranger either.

Never ask people for load data. So I just got this new gun and I am new and like, could someone like tell me, like, a ‘good recipe’ for this cartridge? Nooooo. And especially no if they are stupid enough to tell you. What works in their gun and their chamber and their barrel may (and probably won’t) work well in yours. It could just shoot poorly or it could hurt you. Instead - buy a reloading manual and read it. If you are asking this question - you need to read it. Then, look at the specific load data, from the manufacturer of the bullet you are loading and start either at a minimum or 10% below the maximum (do not drop below the minimum, just as bad and do not start at the maximum). More powder does not usually mean more accuracy. eventually, you will know your gun and your chambering and you will know what charge amount is safe and not safe to use. While you are learning, start at the bottom and work your way up in 0.2 to 0.5 grain increments.

More reloading warnings and safety rules here:
_http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders/warnings.asp_
_http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders/safety.asp_

1 Like

It’s a bit draconian, but it’s very sound advice. Nice job.

1 Like

Follow the link to a thread on more tips for the handloader: Reloading and Load Development Resources & Tips

1 Like

Locking this thread, it has moved here: Reloading and Load Development Resources & Tips