Using dacron filler in reduced loads?

I watched the first couple of minutes of each episode of Hollywood guns to find out what the test was then skipped the half hour of fluff n crap and watched the last few minutes to see the tests lol, possibly the fastest ive ever watched a whole season of tv!
Mythbusters on the other hand is one of the all time best shows on tv I reckon.

Back on topic though, testing dacron against cotton balls should leave me with all my fingers I think and it’s green enough here that fires shouldn’t be a real issue atm.

1 Like

Shoot some into dry hay or something from varying ranges.
If that doesn’t work, soak some dry hay in metho… you’ll soon find out what the fire risk level is. Obviously dry hot days are a differentthing but the metho should help lower flash point significantly.

Have y’all ever considered using something less synthetic, as in plain old cornmeal or grits as a filler for your reduced loads…? :+1:

1 Like

I would try them, the dacron was what was recommended in the load I found.
All my reduced loads have been with trail boss until now and I have not used and fillers I reloads.
I have some cornmeal in the reloading room that I used to blow some 303 cases out to 410 with, do you have any pointers on using it?

Mike Venturino, who wrote the book on cast bullet loads, is dead against fillers. Just entering an unknown into the equation. Yes, there are plenty of people who use them, but I’ll take Mikes advice over someone I don’t know anyday. Also, something else to consider is the fact that you are talking about a bottle-necked case. The use of meal type fillers is common in large “straight” walled cases where there is little resistance and the filler just heads up the barrel. In a bottle-necked case, anything that doesn’t combust could act as a plug and create massive pressure spikes.
Have you tried 2205? I know it leaves a lot of unburnt powder, but it can still produce good results regardless. The starting load in the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook is 17gr.
I shoot with a bloke who was using dacron as a filler in a .357 lever-gun, you could smell burning plastic every time he shot. Makes me wonder about a possible build up in the bore. ( think shotgun )

I’ve never used fillers, to me there is no need for them. It’s all about the right powder choice, 2205 is a great choice in bottleneck rifle cases, trailboss is not the be all, and end all. As little as 8gn of 2205 in various 308 based cases behind a 160gn plus cast bullet produces a great fun subsonic load, that had been shot for decades without problems.

1 Like