Travelling with firearms.

I am wondering what you blokes use to secure firearms while travelling.
I don’t want to have to try and argue with some young copper.
I have asked a number of coppers but none of them can give me an answers they just parrot what is on the website.
They say locked in boot but not what type of gun case is OK plastic, wood or metal or what?

What state are you mate? That will make a difference to how its done.

NT but have plans to go to QLD and SA soon.

@JizzFlinger should be able to shed some light on the NT.
@JSS on QLD.
And @wylie27 is probably your best bet for SA mate.
Hopefully they’ll chime in soon mate.

Here’s what Qld Weapons branch say.
https://www.police.qld.gov.au/weapon-licensing/safe-storage-weapons-and-ammunition
Storage in or on vehicles
As a general rule, you should not store any weapons in a vehicle. Loose firearms in a vehicle are a prime target for thieves.

In some situations, you may need to store a weapon in a vehicle, in these circumstances ensure that:
1. If the vehicle has a lockable boot, the weapon is locked in the boot; otherwise:
(a) the weapon is locked in a metal container fixed to the vehicle; or
(b) the weapon is in a securely closed container that is out of sight in the
vehicle.
2. The metal container and anything on or attached to it, must not suggest that a
weapon is inside.
3. A person in control of a weapon (whether or not the person has custody of it) must
ensure the weapon is not left in an unlocked vehicle if the vehicle is not being
attended by someone licensed to possess the weapon.

I’ve been told by a couple of cops I know (including one who teaches their firearms & sert courses) that the car itself is considered a “locked container” so I run with that. I keep guns in unlocked bags or cases & remove bolts if possible, and keep the ammo in separate boxes & lock the ammo boxes. I’ve never had an issue, but I’ve only been pulled over a couple of times for RBT’s when it was obvious that I had a bunch of guns (like a dozen bags on the back seat) so I offered the info that I had them, and it was always by country cops.
The first rule is that unless they specifically ask or they’re in plain sight don’t volunteer that you them on board. If you want to be extra safe throw a little padlock on all your gun bags just incase you meet officer wanker on a power trip. (in Qld a padlocked soft gun bag is a “securely locked container”)

If you’re touring and taking a caravan & storing the guns in the van, the rules in Qld for caravans are somewhere in between home & car storage, you need some kind of lockable & mounted storage.

If you’re travelling with pistols just have a couple of screenshots/evidence on your phone of upcoming club comps that are in or near the area you’re travelling to that you “plan to attend/compete in”.

Oh and really important, if the sneaky bastard asks you to “come over here” for a second MAKE SURE you lock your car first!! I know they caught out a couple of blokes who were packing up in a gun club carpark with leaving the guns unattended in an unlocked car as the cops deliberately walked & talked them about 10 meters away over to the cop car then charged them for it. A bloody low act but it’s been done. They ended up beating it but it was a headache apparently.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

That is exactly what I was looking for.
Your a scholar and gentleman Thank you. :+1:

1 Like

He is most definitely not a gentleman!

1 Like

Now hang on just a mi… ahh fuck you’re right I’m not am I. Nevertheless you’re very welcome @The-Termite.

I’ve always got a rifle shotty or pistol in the ute. NT or wherever. Dont think it matters.

Bottom line: if it gets stolen, you better be able to prove you took reasonable steps to stop it happening. I take the bolts/cylinders/firing pins out; whatevers easiest and smallest enough and hide them in my asshole.

We know what you like to do for fun but what do you do to keep the firearms secure???

:thinking::rofl:

This is not advice from me just an experience. Quite some time ago I was having a lot of conversations with the DFO in the area of the Rifle range I was a member of getting it certified. In one conversation traveling with firearms came up. He was adamant that all he did and all that was required in Vic was to throw them on the back seat with ammo in its box and a towel or rug thrown over the top of them. I gave him the standard I went to and what every other firearm owner I know does and he just said No not needed. The conversation ended with me saying that I didnt think the average cop on the street would understand the law the same as him and I would stick with my method of locked in a case in the boot and the ammo in a locked case and his phone number should I ever have problems. :slight_smile:

In Vic I would just bag a gun and put it behind the seats in the ute and keep ammo in a locked box or locked in the glove box.
I lived and worked rurally and had a shotgun in the ute most of the time.

In metro same deal, not all the time, but it’s reasonably clear requirements. Guns in bags out of sight. Ammo locked away from gun.

Since I travel a bit , Cat H , just to cover all bases I have them and ammo locked in separate metal boxes fixed to vehicle even my long arms, need to look very hard to find it and most important, carry a copy of your Weapons list with them so you can prove that they are yours, a licence doesn’t cut it and try to have a couple of emails from Clubs to show when interstate … Lock vehicle each time you leave it so you don’t fall into a trap, especially at the range…

3 Likes