Thoughts on Shooters Union?

Welcome @ShootersUnion! Wow that escalated quickly lol

1 Like

Is there a plan for a state branch to be established in Victoria? If so, is there a timeframe on that?

There are plans for a state branch in Victoria but it needs to be done properly, so there isnā€™t a timeframe on it. And I donā€™t mean that in a vague ā€œperhaps in the fullness of timeā€ sense, just that Iā€™m not across the specifics so canā€™t provide anything anything more, well specific.

Victorians (and people from any state) are welcome to join Shooters Union Australia, though. We donā€™t have a branch in the NT yet but that hasnā€™t stopped us from standing up and saying ā€œThis isnā€™t right, why have you done this?ā€ to their Acting Police Commissioner - with the help of our Shooters Union Australia members based in the NT.

Cool. Thanks for your reply.

Iā€™m already a member, is there anything else I can do to support you guys?

2 Likes

Yes Wombat this is a point I brought up in a post awhile back whether the ssaa would get itself in a position with the government that all shooters had to be a member of the ssaa to own a firearm not saying itā€™s going to happen but the risk is there for it to happen if closed discussions with government you scratch my back and iā€™ll scratch yours mind you this is all speculation on my part but makes you wonder with the problem you had with the RO and what theyā€™re told by the head honchos I to donā€™t need to be a member so upset me and iā€™m gone like you

1 Like

Thatā€™s awesome! Letting us know if you see anything anti-gun or pro-gun in the media is a big help, as is encouraging more people to join. The more members we have, the stronger our voice and the more backing weā€™ve got when we go to politicians and the media and fight for fairer, evidence-based gun laws.

1 Like

Can you tell us a bit about the Shooters Union as in what form does it take. Is it a political Party like the Shooters Fishers and Farmers, is it like a trade union? A non profit organization? Does it have full time employees? or is it a part time
Iā€™m not inquiring as in trying to be critical just trying to fit your Organization into the overall picture and get a idea of the size and structure ect.

Iā€™m jealous. Iā€™m locked in with them as they are my reason on my licence as well as running the ranges where I shoot. Not that I mind them, Iā€™ve never had an issue but I donā€™t love being totally reliant on them.

@ShootersUnion, bloody good show on your response to the NT bullshit, but also on jumping onto the forum.
Well done, I will have to join up now based on your proactive efforts.

2 Likes

Get an expression of interest in hunting pest animals, costs next to SFA , update your license to include hunting, gives you the freedom to tell SSAA where to go if you feel like it down the track.

No you are not. Just email LRD in case you have target shooting and update genuine reason to hunting. Either way, itā€™s not true in 99.99% that youā€™re locked in. The only time youā€™d actually need to be a member, is if you are a member of the subclubs, like collectors or handguns. In your circumstances, you are 100% not locked in.

You all have very good points. I actually forgot about the hunting option. Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

Weā€™re primarily a lobby group and representative organisation - a sort of NGO for the countryā€™s law-abiding firearms users, if that makes sense.

Membership of SU is a valid reason for having a Category A, B and H licence in Queensland and Category A and B in New South Wales.

Weā€™re not a political party, and to the best of my knowledge there are no full-time paid employees either.

Our focus is on representing shooters to politicians - and weā€™ve had some wins in this area, particularly in Queensland - as well as to the media. As the media officer, I not only send media and comment out to journalists, I also help them understand the facts around gun laws and lawful shooting activities.

When they run unreasonably anti-gun stories we also take them to task as well; weā€™ve currently got a formal complaint in with ACMA against Channel Nine and their Wedgetail WTA-15-1 story, and have offered our full support to Ozzie Reviews in the wake of the recent article about him in a major media outlet.

4 Likes

Now if you could just sort out the antiquated gun laws in WA that would make life more interesting. :smiley::wink::wink::smiley::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

And welcome to the forum.

Thanks for that, very helpful its good to know how everyone fits together and the way organizations work. I helps people to know who to go to in the correct circumstances and also helps when multiple organizations can work together in different areas for the common good which is something in the firearms area that is needed.

1 Like

Shooters Union was recommended to me by my LGS years ago so i joined up & have been a happy member of both their rifle and pistol clubs ever since.

Welcome to the forum @ShootersUnion!!

1 Like

:+1: thanks for the info @ShootersUnion.

@Nomis you can also get a letter from a farmer/land owner or just buy a game licence as a reason to have a licence.

Or letter of intent.