The big fat COVID-19 thread.

Pretty much.

Anyone should have at least a month of provisions minimum in my opinion.
It doesn’t have to be expensive, after all its worst case survival stuff.
$60 of soup, $20 of rice, cans of spam and/or tuna - say $50 and incidentals $10 (soy sauce etc).
That’s what- $140 per person/month? Minimal investment. A little bit more would make life more bearable.
Perhaps this current panic could be a wake up call to get a little bit prepared. Its not hard or expensive.

• Plus whatever shit tickets you deem appropriate. as they are not essential as 99% of Australia seems to believe.

Given the all the sheeple panic in the supermarkets I’m actually waiting for the govt to declare martial law…
You can sort of understand the logic cause what happens if Covid-19 hits the transport sector hard and trucks stop delivering at the same rate.
Interesting days, weeks, months ahead…

I could not see martial law coming from this. It would be a sure way to end your political life. It would take looting and violence on the street to a level that the police could not handle before martial law would ever be declared. I am sure they would put the armed forces in to help like in the bushfires, providing transport for goods before taking that last step.

Supermarket shelves were empty today. Like legit empty. I wanted some dishwasher tablets - fucking gone. Meat - gone. Rice, pasta, some milks that family drinks.

I’m beginning to reconsider my relaxed attitude. Time to stock up!

And the worst thing is that it’s nothing to do with current events and everything to do with perpetual panic motion machine.

No, stop! The government is on telly right now saying you dont need to stock up…“ample supplies” they say!

H1NV ‘swine flu’ killed 12,000 Americans back in 2009. No once cared. Over a million dead world wide. I looked at the day Obama declared it a National Emergency in mid march 2009. I looked at historical DJIA week closings. Twitter did not exist. You didnt have minute by minute updates on spread and numbers.

As far as I can tell, its an intersting coincidence. The stock market was at a record low. I’ll bet if Corona Virus was called ‘Corona Flu’ it might be less panicable.

1 Like

Yesterday I went to pick up some herbs, spices and sesame oil. Just went to my local Asian supermarket, they were a touch busier than normal and I was the only Anglo in there. Still plenty of noodles, both instant and traditional, plenty of frozen dumplings, beans and even some rice.
No bogroll but I don’t think they ever stocked it.

Down in Preston Market two weeks ago all the rice was gone off the shelves and they had a tone of it. Mostly in 20 kg bags some for restaurants a lot for domestic. On the way out I did see a new pallet of 20 kg bags Australian rice medium grain.

I think it will be ok as long as the supply chain remains relatively normal and new food stuffs keep coming in. If that stops thats when people will go crazy and fights, home break ins will start.

We should get a good indication from the US re rioting ect. I think it will start there well and truly before Australians go nuts. they have done it before for all sorts of things court cases not going the way they wanted ect. Aussies havent done the lawless looting and burning of cars type of things on any scale.

1 Like

Not recently anyway - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_Victorian_police_strike http://museum.wa.gov.au/explore/wa-goldfields/getting-gold/ethnic-riots

Sounds a bit like the pilot strike back in the day. Replace with overseas workers many not to work again in the industry.

You are all definitely going to die!
Just heard on the news that a women in her 90s has died of VB disease (Aussie strain), it’s estimated she may have died up to 3 days earlier than she would have from old age!

1 Like

Supermarkets are getting empty in Ballarat now too.

1 Like

VB or VD? VD would be funny.

1 Like

People would make really bad toilet paper. Maybe try Rabbits first?

Oh I’m not worried about running out of toilet paper

1 Like

A nice little comparison infogram about recent pandemics. The effects I suffered from swine flu are ongoing; the price of St Louis cut pork spare ribs and baby backs never really came back. sniff

I was reading an article on the Carona sage, they were saying that 12,000 Americans died in 2009 from the Swine Flu yet there was no where near the panic then as now.

I must admit that I have been guilty many times of panic buying, usually when the publican says “last round”

2 Likes