SSAA in the news again...

There has been an ongoing legal saga unravelling for SSAA QLD. Lots of very shady things, I’ve been following it on Facebook. This is something that was posted today that I thought I’d scrape and dump here.

(open image in new tab to view larger version with readable test)

Jesus, that’s to the point and not a good look for the ssaa if you ask me and not real good if they are only going to let ssaa members shoot on the ranges I thought the ranges were for everybody . It doesn’t surprise me that they only chase the money as I thought that quiet early in the peace as soon as I heard you could get a rifle if you were a member of the ssaa that in itself can be a money spinner for the ssaa . But I suppose they won’t learn by this it sounds that stuff like this is deeply entrenched in the ranges and ssaa judging by some of the things I’ve read .I’ve never shot at a range and most likely never will so it doesn’t affect me but it’s not a good look for people getting into the sport and may deter many from joining. Hopefully the bigger part of the ssaa is more respectable than those in the letter.

Juicy drama, I like it.

Wait, what do you mean I’m paying for it?

1 Like

Pathetic and sadly typical. I’ve been involved in several clubs with “voluntary” committee members. Most are in it for the right reasons. Many get a bit bloated on the small amount of authority they are given and become authoritarian dicks.

Range officers are a case in point. Most are pretty cool, some are condescending fkwits.

grandadbushy
4h
“not real good if they are only going to let ssaa members shoot on the ranges. I thought the ranges were for everybody.”

gbd, it’s as well to remember that use of facilities that are, usually, owned and operated by the financial members of a particular Branch, that after a number of “social visits” to that/those facility/s it is reasonably expected that you become a member of that Branch and pay your dues to them. Otherwise, it will be thought that you are riding on the backs of those hard working Branch Members who continue to work, often tirelessly, to provide and improve facilities for THEIR MEMBERS.
If you are a member of SSAA, in all likelihood you nominated which Branch you prefer to belong, else the default is Q99. Your Branch identity number, if you have one, will be printed on your State Membership card. Have you paid your Annual Range Pass fee, assuming that your Branch operates a range?
I think you will find that MOST of the “SSAA” ranges are operated by Branches, NOT the SSAA, which does operate a couple.
A lot of sporting clubs have a ‘Social Membership’, but that does not give that “member” unfettered access to their facilities.

Let’s keep this as is or on track. It’s about QLD branch legal case (and potentially financial fraud, this started when someone asked to see the finances).

And to jump on this early, if you don’t attend public ranges or the last time you’ve been - range rules clearly stated that there will be no shooting at passing pterodactyl, perhaps you (you being pre-emptive you, nobody specific) should consider refraining from criticising something you don’t know much about.

To dispel some things: SSAA ranges in Victoria are staffed by paid ROs, they are not volunteers because they draw salary. SSAA sub-clubs, the ones I know off, are staffed by volunteers who get non-financial benefits.

Yes JS it might have been pre-emptive of me but I am a ssaa member that doesn’t use a range so where does all my money go ?, Then there is the thing that why can’t non ssaa members use the range but pay a fee set down by the ssaa this would cover any outstanding costs covered by the range . Not saying it’s the perfect scenario but it’s better than turning shooters away as it looks like happens but maybe I expect too much common sense from bodies like the ssaa

Alright, a few things to unpack here. I am only going to state what I know and clearly say what I don’t know.

I honestly didn’t mean anyone here, right now, I didn’t even read the replies, I just know these things escalate quickly and hopped on it early.

So am I. To answer your question - I don’t know. This is a state to state question and then another question for the national branch. And state branches will push a lot of ‘taxation’ - protection money lol - up to national, so I don’t know.

At least a big chunk of it in QLD would go to defending crooks in court (they lost the case, so they are crooks) - fact, based on our legal system (QLD only).

It all started with that bloke asking to see the finances of the branch, so I am guessing there is mismanagement and potentially fraud happening there too, but that’s all anecdotal, so I don’t know, maybe ask how much of the funds went to expensing a trip to the Shot Show in LV, since it has no relevance to us?

This is a state question. In VIC, SSAA is largely irrelevant and useless as an ‘organisation’. We don’t need to be members of anything to own firearms, we can hunt on public land. I stalk, so my deer ticket is all I need. Vermin, don’t need permits for that. And I don’t need to be a member to go to the range. I treat them like McDonnald’s, they are a franchise that sell cheap shit sometimes and a lot of the times things they do makes you want to vomit.

In VIC, fact - general public can use SSAA ranges that I know off, Springvale and Lt River. Non-members pay $15 extra I believe. Other states - no idea.

I agree.

juststarting
25m
Let’s keep this as is or on track . It’s about QLD branch legal case (and potentially financial fraud, this started when someone asked to see the finances).
And to jump on this early, if you don’t attend public ranges or the last time you’ve been - range rules clearly stated that there will be no shooting at passing pterodactyl, perhaps you (you being pre-emptive you, nobody specific) should consider refraining from criticising something you don’t know much about.
To dispel some things: SSAA ranges in Victoria are staffed by paid ROs, they are not volunteers because they draw salary. SSAA sub-clubs, the ones I know off, are staffed by volunteers who get non-financial benefits."

Don’t know where your thoughts are js, but you are correct in that this is about a Queensland Branch, gdb is Qld (if his location as stated on another forum is to be believed), I am in Qld, and my home Branch owns a shooting range complex, paid for entirely by its Members. We are not a sub-club, we are a Branch of SSAA Qld., but we, the Branch, own and operate the facility.
And to dispel some things, it is presumptuous to assume that people on this forum are speaking about things “they don’t know much about”.

@oldAG I was making sure we stay on topic and highlighting that it’s not a universal issue, rather it varies state to state.

If you could shine some light on this whole thing, it’d be very interesting to everyone (if you can, of course).

My apologies if I misread your post JS

1 Like

Not at all.

I agree, it is reasonable to expect. But to force through denying access is an entirely different matter.

This is one of the saddest things I read to be honest on the topic. Very tribal. Why not open it up and let people shoot and pay the upkeep? It’s called lost opportunity cost.

For example, all Vic ranges operate this way. People rock up, pay extra as non-members… No harm, no big deal and everyone is happy.

Alternatively, people don’t come. The range doesn’t get extra funds and just has dead shooting space, that could have been utilised for extra funding, so those tireless members can hire someone and work a little less tirelessly. Or some extra cash for an event or equipment, you get my point.

If everyone thought like that, this would be a horrible world. It’s almost as if you either with SSAA or you can bugger off (this is how I read it).

I would have thought that encouraging shooting is paramount to the survival of the sport. This example seems to be showing the exact opposite - my tribe and everyone else. I am actually really sad to hear this.

It may be about insurance dont be to quick to judge. Private ranges which is what you are effectively talking about here often have strange rules to outsiders but for very good reasons. @juststarting you are a member of a private range do they let just anyone role up at any time? Whu not?

The VRA ranges only allow a specific visitor to shoot on 3 occasions before becoming a member. This is due to the way the rules have been written and then the insurance to back up shooting under those conditions. Of course it is something that could be changed our club would like to offer memberships that do not require you to become a VRA/NRAA member as this is where the bulk of the cost is. to do that we have to get our own insurance, which would be a double up and put our membership fees up. So its a business case thing to find out just when it how many extra shooters / local club members are require to break even.

I’m not quick to judge. And yes I am. They used to, until paperwork and supervision got too much. Guest access with a host is allowed.

It may be the case, @sungazer. But we are both reading the same thing here. Pure tribalism was discussed and nothing about insurance.