So uhh....how hard is cattle farming and how much money do you need to get started?

Stupidly thinking about getting into a laborious job instead of leeching off those who can’t afford their own home. Any tips?

2 Likes

If you have to ask if farming is hard don’t do farming lol.

1 Like

Cattle market is totally fucked at the moment.
Prices are 1/3 what they were last this time last year, although the big supermarket prices don’t reflect it. Price gouging anyone?

2 Likes

I think @JizzFlinger was asking to be bred. :point_right: :ok_hand:

1 Like

I saw this bull today out near Woodend, was the size of a bulldozer. Had a huge paddock all to himself. I bet all he does is fuck the shit out of anything unlucky enough to be in there. He was an absolute monster, white speckled with black dots. Absolute unit.

1 Like

All I’m hearing is a challenge you have yet to take on

@JizzFlinger No Cock Like Horse Cock - song and lyrics by Pepper Coyote | Spotify
(to everyone else I apologise in advance :rofl:)

1 Like

Of all the breeding animals type professions I think it would be on the better end of the scale when it comes to husbandry needs. But in all the years I have been doing it I am pretty sure without another job to sponsor it I would be going backwards. Initially the Gov was very helpful with Tax exemptions/ good tax rules re purchases of infrastructure / tools ect and negative gearing. These days they seem to be working against you. The costs have sky rocketed. I dont want to give myself a heart attack and look back at what I paid for lime and fertilizer 30 years ago. I used the opportunity well and spent the money to improve the soil. But for the last 15-20 years it became prohibitive expensive along with other inputs like fuel and chemicals for spraying weeds. At the same time selling fees went through the roof and the bio hazard rules and the animal tracking requirements also increased. I am scared to actually do a cost analysis these days I think I may be paying for the privilege to produce my own meat.

1 Like

Not cattle farming but this just popped up on U tube.

WTF