Shutting down gun shops (COVID-19 related)

I’ve only ever had sales of powder or primers recorded here in Vic, apparently “coz terrorists”, but other times I’ve bought these and had nothing but a quick check that I had a license. I bought powder while in QLD once and they barely even looked at my licence, last Xmas I bought handgun ammo (no rifles chambered in 30 Nagant) in qld and no-one gave a shit, lve also bought various handgun calibre ammo in Vic without getting a second glance or question.

I have only ever had a quick glance at the license no matter what amount I was buying. In some cases because I was known it didnt even go to that level. However they were really sure I had a license.
This was all in Vic and sometime the amounts were quite large when combining orders for other people.

Up in Queensland they just need to verify you have a firearms licence; and who’s to say you don’t have a rifle in 7.62x38R?

1 Like

In Tas, your licence number (not sure on other details) is recorded for every ammo purchase. The record is all very official; usually a clip board or exercise book…

Powder and primers get recorded here. Ammo, a valid licence is sighted.

A post was split to a new topic: Petition to Expand Ammunition Sales during current COVID-19 Lockdown

Notification of nasty price increases to come even from the little one man shop down the road… Fark… bet prices down drop down when every tthung quietness down…

At 40% price increase, I reckon reloading will start to be cost effective even for me

2 Likes

Unless powder etc gets a disproportionate increase or is NLA.

You would hope that as ADI powder is made here there shouldn’t be a big price hike on it.

I don’t think it will only be gun things I think it will be everything as they will try and recover as much lost monies as possible whilst in the grip of the lock down

At 40% increase the bulk buying of ammo has actually become a sound investment. Better result for the year than gold or property.

Cop - WTF why have you got so much bloody ammo?
Me - It’s an investment, speak to my accountant. :laughing:

2 Likes

Runin. It’s like Ronin, but with shooters. An affect, when you find yourself aimlessly scrolling through used gun website, knowing fully well that it can’t happen right now.

1 Like

Thank god I thought it was just me.

2 Likes

Just seen this on Stalkbook…

Jeff Bourman MP

4 hrs ·

An analysis of data by Acme Firearms regarding the number of Permits To Acquire (PTA) per month on average over a number of recent years has revealed that there is no stockpiling happening and that the numbers of PTAs quoted (2,200) to initiate the ban on buying firearms and ammunition is well within the range of what is normal. Why the previous week PTAs dipped to around 1,000 is anyone’s guess, but it’s clear that the reasons given for this unilateral action are, being as charitable as possible; suspect.

PTAs are issued with a sequential number and taking a start and end number from a range based on date gives you a clear point in time for analysis of numbers. Bearing in mind that a large portion of the PTAs are for firearms that already exist within the system and are being transferred between owners rather than new firearms.

We must remember that Victoria Police hold ALL the raw data relating to this issue and have instant access to it, whereas I rely on questioning the government in parliament or FOI requests, both of which are time consuming, clunky and are liable to obfuscation or outright rejection.

I demand that Victoria Police provide data to refute the table shown or else they must provide an unqualified apology to all the law abiding firearms owners they slurred whilst taking this action which may well turn out to be illegal.

Image may contain: text

3 Likes

We did it - we got the Queensland restrictions nullified!

A WIN FOR SHOOTERS IN QUEENSLAND - ALL RURAL SHOOTERS NOW ABLE TO ACCESS AMMUNITION AND DEALER SERVICES

RURAL landowners and volunteer pest controllers can now buy guns and ammunition in Queensland again, following a mammoth effort spearheaded by Shooters Union Australia and the Firearms Dealers Association of Queensland.

After the Government’s Chief Health Officer unilaterally closed every gunshop in the state via an online decree at 10:43pm on a Friday night a week ago. We have been working ridiculously hard alongside FDAQ to get this situation changed, and are obviously very happy that hard work – and the support of our members has paid off, first with an exemption for primary producers and now with this excellent news:

As of now, anyone with an OC code on their licence, or anyone with an RE code on their licence and a rates notice or letter from a landowner saying they undertake volunteer pest control on the property, can purchase ammunition, powder, primers and access firearm dealer services.

Further, we have negotiated to ensure the new conditions apply no matter which shooting organisation licensees are a member of – the only thing that matters is having a valid firearms licence and one of the approved codes, with a landholder letter (or e-mail) if applicable.

Getting these results requires a huge amount of time, lobbying and effort and we’d like to take a moment to say a heartfelt THANK YOU to all our members and supporters who took the time to write to their MP or contact the media.

We’ve always said shooters achieve the most when we work together, and this is a perfect example of what happens when we do that.

The fight isn’t over by a long shot, but we’ve proven that with enough support, we can take on the antis and ensure fairness and common-sense prevails.

9 Likes

Speechless. Really keen to know the process. Well done.

1 Like

Congratulations and well done.
I can bet it wasn’t easy but the out come is worth it.

If only we can get all shooters on the same page we might have half a chance of getting things sorted once and for all.
So who is next on the list?

2 Likes

And membership paid!
Bloody good work guys

2 Likes

Just became a member. Keep the good work up. :+1:

2 Likes