Shooters Union calls for Victorian Police Minister Lisa Neville to resign over "disgusting" domestic violence comments

ONE of Australia’s most prominent pro-firearms organisations has called for Victorian Police Minister Lisa Neville to resign in the wake of disgusting, offensive and baseless comments implying licensed firearms owners were domestic violence offenders.

Speaking at a televised press conference yesterday morning, Ms Neville openly declared the Victorian Government’s decision to halt the sale of ammunition and firearms parts to recreational hunters and target shooters was due to concerns over the potential for domestic violence incidents as a result of the COVID-19 lockdown.

Shooters Union Australia president Graham Park slammed the comments, calling them “quite possibly the most offensive, disgusting, ignorant and dangerous thing I have ever heard from a Government Minister”.

“I am simply flabbergasted by the Minister’s delusional and appalling comments, and I cannot believe she was allowed to air them unchecked.”

“Many law-abiding firearms owners are themselves victims of domestic violence, so Ms Neville has succeeded only in re-victimising and traumatising a vulnerable group for her own political ends,” he said.

“It is clear that someone with such clear disgust and disdain for the most law-abiding parts of the Victorian community is not fit to be the Police Minister, and she should apologise and resign immediately.”

Obtaining a firearms licence is a time-consuming process with many background checks undertaken – including checks related to domestic violence.

“Anyone who has a firearms licence has proven themselves to be an upstanding, fit and proper person in the community. They are the group least likely to be perpetrating domestic violence,” Mr Park said.

“I cannot reiterate strongly enough just how utterly disgusted we are with the Police Minister’s insinuations. They are shameful and she should be ashamed of herself for uttering them.”

Mr Park said the fact gun stores were the only general retail outlet ordered to stop trading with a particular group of customers was further proof the declarations had nothing to do with public safety or domestic violence concerns.

“If Ms Neville is so worried about domestic violence, why is Bunnings still open? They sell axes, chainsaws, poison, and all manner of other dangerous items,” he said.

“What about places selling kitchen knives? Camping stores selling knives? Sports stores selling baseball bats? They’re still open and trading.

“Why are bottle shops still trading? Everyone knows alcohol is a massive factor in domestic violence incidents.”

Mr Park said the Government’s statements proved the sales restrictions had nothing to do with ‘public safety’ or domestic violence and everything to do with blatant, hateful and damaging discrimination.

“Substitute ‘hunters and recreational shooters’ for ‘the LGBTQI community’ or ‘black people’ and see if the rationale Ms Neville provided is OK. And the answer is no, because it’s not OK,” he said.

“We have said it before and we will say it again: There is no public health risk involved in letting licensed gun shops sell ammunition and parts to all licensed shooters, not just primary producers.”

“Yes, there’s a pandemic on, but that’s not an excuse to start pushing a discriminatory agenda under the blatantly false cover of ‘public safety’.”

Mr Park said there was also the very concerning fact the Victorian Government had apparently just admitted it has no faith in the integrity of its own firearms licensing system, despite having spent hundreds of millions of dollars on the registry over the years.

“If they’ve admitted they can’t get that right, what other serious public health and safety matters are they dropping the ball on?,” he asked.

Mr Park said there was a strange idea among the public that guns were readily available to anyone, when that could not be further from the truth.

“I cannot make this any clearer: No-one, even with a gun licence, can walk into a gun shop in Victoria, pick out a firearm, and walk out the door with it right away,” he said.

“Buying a gun requires a licence – which requires numerous police and background checks and takes several months to get – as well as a police-issued permit for every additional gun the licence-holder wants to get.

“There are already checks and balances in the system to ensure unsuitable people do not legally acquire firearms.

“We fully support licensing and background checks to make sure only upstanding, law-abiding people can buy firearms – but we will not tolerate those upstanding, law-abiding people then being slandered by the same Government responsible for issuing them a gun licence in the first place,” he said.

5 Likes

List of contacts would be great.

https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/about/people-in-parliament/members-search/list-all-members

1 Like

Well done, I’ll send Danny boy and my local member an email this afternoon!

3 Likes

This one for my local state member, Danny Boys to follow.

G’day Ms Addison

My name is Ben ----------, we met recently at the State Government inquiry into disadvantaged jobseekers, where along with two others I gave evidence on the job seeking issues facing younger Veterans in the Ballarat area.

I am writing to you today in reference to your coworker the minister for police, lisa neville, who speaking at a televised press conference yesterday morning openly declared the Victorian Government’s decision to halt the sale of ammunition and firearms to recreational hunters and target shooters was due to concerns over the potential for domestic violence incidents as a result of the COVID-19 lock down.

This is possibly the most offensive, disgusting, ignorant and dangerous thing I have ever heard from a Government Minister and I am deeply offended by the Minister’s delusional and appalling comments and I cannot believe she was allowed to air them unchecked.

The simple fact of the matter being that Licensed Firearms Owners are checked and checked again to make sure that they are of good character. I have personally passed every police check that I can think of, I was screened before being excepted into the Army, I passed the police check to work for Corrections Victoria, I passed the police check that said “I AM A FIT AND PROPER PERSON” and could legally own firearms in the state of Victoria and I passed the police checks and working with children’s check to be able to work for ------------, where along with everyone else I work tirelessly to protect the most vulnerable people in our community.

If there has been a run on the sale of guns and ammunition in response to COVID-19 it is simply because we are heading into a recession if not a depression and the price of firearms, ammunition and reloading supplies is going to skyrocket on account of the vast majority of it being imported. No one is buying extra guns or ammo so that they can shoot their wife and kids, I like many other shooters would already possess the 3 bullets required to shoot my family, however I would refer you back to the “FIT AND PROPER PERSON” that I was deemed to be by the LRD.

If the police minister is so concerned that the LRD is not doing its job properly then I would advise her to close them instead of the Ballarat local family operated businesses where I buy hunting supplies. Better yet if ms neville would like to do something constructive to help prevent domestic violence during this time of COVID-19 she might consider closing the bottleshops that fuel all sorts of violence in our community and while she’s singlehandedly saving the world, why doesn’t she do something to get the firearms out of the hands of criminals, bikie gangs and drug dealers who are ruining our community.

I believe nothing short of a full public apology and ms neville standing down as police minister could restore my faith in our State Government.

You once thanked me for my service, I hope to be able to repay that sentiment one day soon.

Yours truly

Ben

9 Likes

Basically the same letter, but heres what I sent Danny Boy

G’day Dan Andrews

My name is Ben -------, I understand how busy you are at the moment, however I am writing to you today in reference to your Minister, the minister for police, lisa neville, who speaking at a televised press conference yesterday morning openly declared the Victorian Government’s decision to halt the sale of ammunition and firearms to recreational hunters and target shooters was due to concerns over the potential for domestic violence incidents as a result of the COVID-19 lock down.

This is possibly the most offensive, disgusting, ignorant and dangerous thing I have ever heard from a Government Minister and I am deeply offended by the Minister’s delusional and appalling comments and I cannot believe she was allowed to air them unchecked.

The simple fact of the matter being that Licensed Firearms Owners are checked and checked again to make sure that they are of good character. I have personally passed every police check that I can think of, I was screened before being excepted into the Army, I passed the police check to work for Corrections Victoria, I passed the police check that said “I AM A FIT AND PROPER PERSON” and could legally own firearms in the state of Victoria and I passed the police checks and working with children’s check to be able to work for ----------------, where along with everyone else I work tirelessly to protect the most vulnerable people in our community.

If there has been a run on the sale of guns and ammunition in response to COVID-19 it is simply because we are heading into a recession if not a depression and the price of firearms, ammunition and reloading supplies is going to skyrocket on account of the vast majority of it being imported. No one is buying extra guns or ammo so that they can shoot their wife and kids, I like many other shooters would already possess the 3 bullets required to shoot my family, however I would refer you back to the “FIT AND PROPER PERSON” that I was deemed to be by the LRD.

If the police minister is so concerned that the LRD is not doing its job properly then I would advise her to close them instead of the Ballarat local family operated businesses where I buy hunting supplies. Better yet if ms neville would like to do something constructive to help prevent domestic violence during this time of COVID-19 she might consider closing the bottleshops that fuel all sorts of violence in our community and while she’s singlehandedly saving the world, why doesn’t she do something to get the firearms out of the hands of criminals, bikie gangs and drug dealers who are ruining our community.

I believe nothing short of a full public apology and ms neville standing down as police minister could restore my faith in our State Government.

Yours truly

Ben

6 Likes

Nice one! Well said, too. The more people who contact the Premier with those sentiments, the better. :slight_smile:

*Accepted Not being a , just proofreading.

Good work folks. Keep writing.

What strikes me as being at odds with logic is that these decisions can only be based on irrational fear or an agenda.

The facts are these;

1. Around the world licensed firearm owners commit crimes at 1/6th-1/10th the rate of police, and police are pretty good in being law abiding.
  2. Police feature well in DV stats.

Logic would suggest if they are worried about us, the licensed, then a much bigger priority in times of stress, for public safety, should be to remove all firearms…From the Police, immediately.

Think of the Children!

5 Likes

I wish you’d given me those stats before I wrote my emails!

So these emails really do work.
I just had a call from Julliana Addison, the state member I email above. She has been on the phone all day to people (says she got a bunch of emails like mine) who are outraged and offended my the police ministers bullshit comments.
She agrees that it was a bullshit call and also doesn’t see the good in banning hunting. She represents a lot of hunters and rural / semi rural voters, I explained to her the effects of not being able to control pests for 6 months and informed her about the way TAS in dealing with fishing, where you can launch your boat if you live in the shire you’re launching it from and that maybe we should be able to hunt within a certain distance from home.
Anyway she apologised profusely for the police ministers comments, she claims she will be arguing for gunshops to able to trade as normal and for hunting restrictions to be scaled back as soon as possible, although she’s fairly sure we will go into a full lock down (stage 4) before that happens. She also claims she will be passing on her concerns to both the premier and the police minister.

4 Likes

That’s very reassuring! So far the Premier and the Police Minister have utterly refused to even acknowledge our communications or social media messaging, despite the Premier having plenty of time for virtue-signalling on Twitter.

Wow that’s surprising @bentaz, i have to say it’s restored a bit of faith that they’re not all total mongrels.
Good stuff!
As for the premier & police minister not responding to SU, i’d say they know she fucked up and are just going to hide and say nothing so as not to add any fuel to the fire, plus you can bet they neither want to admit she was wrong or have to say anything positive about gun owners.

2 Likes

That’s why we’re calling on everyone to start calling their local media outlet to get them on the case :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey bud I had a call from her too, calls from the liberal dems, Bev McArthur :love_you_gesture: happy days

2 Likes

What did Bev MacArthur have to say on the subject?

You did better than I did.
I sent out 68 emails to various state members and politicians and got a couple of good feed back and then I got this one.

The Hon Kate Doust has asked me to reply to your email on her behalf.

You rightly identify that this decision has been mandated by the National Cabinet of the Federal Government. As such it has been adopted by all Australian State and Territory Government’s during this time of great community uncertainty.

Kate has asked me to advise you that in her role as a WA State Parliamentarian, she has no capacity to have this decision recommended for reconsideration.

As you are no doubt aware, the vast majority of Australians are not gun owners. Kate has asked me to tell you that she is quite sure that in this period of great social and economic uncertainty (caused by the precautions that we now must all take in the face of this pandemic), the people who do not own guns would also not be in favour of a relaxing of these temporary restrictions.

Kate’s view is also that the complaints you make about this situation are largely inappropriate, given the huge sacrifices that many others in our community are being asked to make in their livelihoods at this time.

Yours sincerely

Greg Roberts – Electorate Officer

Hon Kate Doust MLC | Member for South Metropolitan Region

399 Albany Highway, Victoria Park WA 6100

Phone: 9470 3511 | Fax: 9470 3577

http://twitter.com/KateDoustMLC

SOOOO looks like all the states have now followed the decision to close ranges and shops as well as stop hunting, well according to the well informed politician above.
Same as another informed me that applications for firearms were still being processed and IF any were rejected the WAPOL fee’s would be refunded automatically. Which is interesting as they don’t do that you have to apply for the refund.

Good to see that they know what is going on.

1 Like

I don’t know what you wrote, so can’t really comment on the response. However, “Kate asked me” LOL offensive unprofessionalism at its best, very, shall we say underhanded.

Wow. That’s… blunt.

Your whole state can get fucked mate, we are still excepting refugees.

1 Like