Savage impulse in 308 - thoughts??

Re: Savage Impulse - Full Review and Ammo Test - YouTube

I watched that video and a few more YouTube’s on 1.5x speed

Between that and visiting the shop and handling the thing I have realised

1. you’d need to spend way too much on rounds with it to shoot the impulse like the promo videos when your muscle memory is for a traditional bolt action

2. I need the Weatherby vanguard meat eater in 308

3. I need to get out of Perth and go for a hunt even if I have to pay someone or go interstate

1 Like

In defence of Savage rifles, I’ve owned several custom built rifles over the years… The two most accurate were 6X47 Rem (700 action/Krieger barrel) and my current rig, Savage model 10 McMillan in 6x47 Lapua (IBI 26" barrel)
Both sub 1/4" (1’s & 2’s) with handloads. Some say they’re ugly, but they shoot like a beauty! :joy:

Nothin ugly here. :sunglasses:

1 Like

4 Likes

Only good Savages are No4 303s, in my book…

The Savage mod 24’s are great and I’m quite fond of my 212 also.

1 Like

Any rifle that takes modern ammunition is shit in your books :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Not quite, just not a plastic lover…

What you talikng about?..I have both, a .308 winchester, and a 7.62x51 NATO…thats pretty modern…lol

1 Like

Savage has a good vintage…its just not of late, with the model 25s they are junk wood or plastic…

Yeah, look, subjective opinions here. Subjectively and personally, I am not a fan of Remington or Savage, because I (personally, sample of 1) had bad experiences with both.

However, objectively, modern Savage, Howa and whatever else, in polymer stocks will outlast, outshoot and outperform most if not all vintage rifles. It’s not even a question or a debate, they are just better and it’s a matter of fact.

Sure, a preference for someone may be this over that, or that over this, but modern firearms are better, safer and more durable than old firearms. Exactly like saying that a classic car is nicer, prettier and feels better than a modern car. But statement of fact is that in practicality any modern car shits all over a horse and (comparing apples to apples) a humble Corolla shits all over anything vintage for the same purpose :slight_smile:

Savage and Howa are the Corollas :slight_smile:

Cant agree with outlast…A buttoned rifle barrel, will always outlast a hammer forged barrel.

Could you explain? In the context of longevity? I know that CHF rifling was considered to be a more accurate final product. And older button rifling approach was preferred by manufacturers because it better fits the mass production process. What I understand about modern processes seems to be, that both types are much of a muchness, more to do with an individual manufacturer than the actual process. But in terms of longevity, I am not sure. Explain?

1 Like

The button rifled barrels just seem to shoot more accurately for longer…Simple observation when i shot fullbore competition for years, usually by a couple of thousand rounds too.

Using the term button rifled generically doesn’t do it justice. Factory button rifles vs Lilja and other aftermarket barrels are miles apart. Factory rifles you see a lot of chatter from when the button gets dragged through which you won’t get on the aftermarkets.

Yeah, other than bookworm knowledge, I have no idea here. From reading however, everything I could find (I read a few, because at some point I was interested in rifling cutting processes) seem to point to CHF barrels being far superior in terms of handling heat, pressures, and overall accuracy. I suspect these days it dependent more on the induvial manufacturing process, tooling and materials. However, broadly speaking everything seems to point to CHF being better.

Have a look at the manufacturing process of these barrels. Very successful barrels, extremely accurate.

Uh, fuck it, while I am here…

Coming back to outlast and outperform, look at any vintage gun. Sure, may have charm to some, heck, I love mine, but functionally - holly shitballs they are shit. Heavy, clunky, rough, screws and bolts everywhere, super impractical for 98% of things.

And let’s compare apples to apples here - very poor manufacturing processes and tolerances that can be seen by looking at all the cracks and fractures in the wood due to recoil, especially around the upper and lower tang and trigger guards. And wood in general is just an inferior material to make stock out of, it’s just what they had at the time. Cracking, warping, shrinking, susceptible to elements and requires maintenance… Try dropping one… Don’t have to look far either, just look at Sportco. It may have been good compared to other guns of its time, but this is just comparing bad to worse. If it was good compared to modern guns it would still be doing business either directly or under some other name through an acquisition (like Barret, ohhh I went there).

So far, I haven’t seen anything factual that would even remotely suggest that older rifles will in some remote way in some parallel universes outperform new rifles in any way.

Nostalgia, personal preference to looks and feel is super personal, but making broad statements like that and passing them as facts incorrect. It discourages new shooters from entering the sport through misinformation. They look at threads like this and think to themselves, this old shit looks horrible, rough, old and super expensive, boomer guns (this is what kids call it now); but new stuff everyone says is horrible, which is plain wrong and irresponsible.

1 Like

Wow! Thats a rant…
I never said out perform…

Thank you :slight_smile: