Savage A22R discussion

Mission accomplished!

And some 22 ammo and 7c a round. Win!

Photoā€™s or it never happenedā€¦

Iā€™ll have to do a good write up on it when I get some time, probably do some photos today/tomorrow and write up next week. Just so you all know this will be me tonight.

2 Likes

Insert Photo of JS cuddling up in bed with the new toy. Until he is asleep and the boss puts his toys away.

Lol I did that but he took it off.

@juststarting so did you cancel your stainless order, or are you still waiting for that to come as well?
why do you need a scope before you can shoot it, dosenā€™t it have iron sights?
Lastly, when are you bringing it here for me to break it?

so did you cancel your stainless order, or are you still waiting for that to come as well?

Cancelled

why do you need a scope before you can shoot it, dosenā€™t it have iron sights?

No, but I had a spare scope, so itā€™s setup now

Lastly, when are you bringing it here for me to break it?

Start of Jan most likely :slight_smile:

1 Like

FYI - the image of the magazine is incorrect. it has a different latch system. itā€™s hinged and nothing like the one in the photo above.

Thatā€™s odd. The image I grabbed off the internet may be of the 17HMR version.
The one I handled had a plastic latch at the front you pulled towards yourself with a finger to release it.

I am writing a review right nowā€¦ stay tuned, give me 5 minutes.

Now Iā€™m going to have to go back and get a photo.

No, you are correct in your description. However the photo is not correct.

It has a latch built into the magazine, but itā€™s hinged with tension spring behind it.

I am somewhat suspicious that itā€™s done that way to avoid getting smacked by Ruger for patent infringement lol.

This is weird- https://gunmagwarehouse.com/savage-arms-a22-series-22lr-10-round-magazine.html

Nope, let me finish what I am doing and Iā€™ll take some snapsā€¦

Review posted here:

It seems that Savage has two patterns of catch on the 22 magazines. I think the one I handled had an ā€œearlyā€ pattern one and you got the later improved version.

Alrightā€¦ So, some hands on time with this lady today and I must say, I love it! The guy next to me didnā€™t love it with all the brass flying at him, but I loved it, LOL

Negatives:

1. The trigger is unquestionably heavy. If you want to shoot balls of a fly, you will notice the trigger. I was however shooting 223 cases with boring predictability at 50m. It is heavyā€¦
  2. I also found that itā€™s somewhat awkward to load the magazine, but I got pretty fast at it after a few goes. More of an observation and getting used to it, but thought Iā€™d mention it.
  3. Magazine, I think it may be the way I load it or there are small tolerancesā€¦ Possibly, I didnā€™t push the rounds all the way to the rear of the magazine (I think, because I had exactly the same issue with a box double/staggered stack magazine). I found that out of about 300 rounds, I managed to jam the magazine twice. Itā€™s a rotary magazine and it just didnā€™t rotate enough to pick up a round. I just unloaded and reloadedā€¦ Seemed to work just fine after that.

Positives:

1. The rifle is accurate, I canā€™t say I was shooting for groups, but aiming at whatever, it did put everything within 5cm and I was shooting as fast as I could with random ammo. I think thatā€™s awesome.
  2. OMFG I love it! I think I enjoyed shooting it more than Alfa and thatā€™s saying a lot, because I love that carbine. This gun is just so much fun. Love it. No regrets what so ever.

Good stuff, I am glad it turned out as a good one.
How did you find the bolt release lever?
Did it ā€œloosenā€ up any?

Release lever is fine.