Savage A22R discussion

Mag does look flimsy, but there’s really two options there.

It will be replaced, because there will be unprecedented amount of bad publicity and warranty claims. Or, it’s a good polymer that will work. A lot like belt and backpack clips, look plastic, but good luck snapping one. As long as it’s a descent polymer though.

This type of mag fits in with your other thread about guns being made not as well as they used to be.

@juststarting in case you haven’t seen it Nioa TV are doing a review on the A22R. Season 7 episode 3.

I’m just calmly waiting for mine lol

I just watched it and It didn’t look too bad.

Well, for one saying stuff like the bolt is loud… Yeah, it’s not your bolt action and a semi bolt will ride home. Welcome. As for the rest, don’t know. I like it. Haters gonna hate lol.

@sungazer - silly statement, completely unsupported by any data. I have a Ruger and the magazine is great. This is very similar. So based on that, again people getting a bit of toll poppy up their cornhole syndrome. Although, that latch does look suss, then again, I’m not doing tactical reloads.

Someone else mentioned schematic, is there a copy online somewhere? I’d like to see it.

Damn you everyone. I had to go fancy, grrrrr. But the sportco is waiting for me, so that’s cancellation price in some sense.

I think you made the right choice. If I had the money to spare i would be on the first batch too. I have a water heater that is at least six months past due replacing I am going to have to bite that bullet and replace that first. If other more important other household emergencies would just stop as well I might get on top of it all. :tired_face:

I was just referring to that latch I have had other stuff with latches like that, they didn’t work well not gun related, electronic stuff, yes I had a Rugger 10/22 with that magazine never had a issue and they have been making them for what at least 30+ years.

1 Like

The magazine by all accounts is better than Ruger. But that latch is metal and seats on tension spring in Ruger mag well. This one does have it on a magazine, so yeah, I am cautious about it. But! You know…

I’ve been putting a few dollars away here and there the moment I saw that lever release in 22 is heading down under.

Tell me about it…
Just when i think I’m out, they keep pulling me back in! :joy:

1 Like

The bolt release lever looks to be in the same position as the bolt hold back small lever on the American version.

Sure you have seen all these

Just saying that from the video you can imagine the bottom of the bolt has little triangles in it to allow one way travel and to get caught on any little spigot poking up. I am sure that little release lever can be tweaked to be easy on the finger. To the point well what would happen if there was no spigot it would be something that would naturally wear.

What a pain to clean! I’d probably lose half the bits and forget how to put it back together…

Maybe you need to watch @Brett pistol dismantling and assembly vid or that lever vid again to get a better perspective on the ease of cleaning for a gun of this type. :grin:

Too lazy for that. I’ll stick to the ‘hit safety, remove bolt, insert cleaning rod’ routine.

I’d be interested to see how much retuning you need to do to it after each clean to get it back to same POI.

Wait untill you shoot a slug out of your shotgun, then we’ll talk about cleaning, @gwion.

It’s a 22, bore snake, some oil and you’re down. Once a year a proper clean. Same as any other semi that has latches and movement.

It’s one of those things that make you really understand why bolt action firearms are more precise, not necessarily more accurate though. Or to put it differently, when all you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail. Same deal here. We’re are predominantly bolt action gun owners, so anything different is immediately dismissed as bad (human nature I guess). Sort of like listening to people saying, no I’d rather have my Commodore, it’s heaps better, because that Ferrari can’t clear big speed bumps. See where I’m going with this? Put your hammer away :slight_smile:

Not sure I ever cleaned down the barrel of my 10/22. I remember removing the bolt and spring all the time and cleaning the action. The bolt was polished smooth hard steel. I oiled it and had it sliding like it was on rails. Got to say I like that side of shooting for those nights in front of the TV movies when the commercials were on. Fondle oil wipe, oil slide repeat. Ahh those were the days.

I’m keen for a 17hmr. Think I might trade in the 22 circuit judge for one once I’ve seen some reviews of the delayed blow back models.

Oooo that’s an interesting trade. Between the two, I’d hold on to the judge. Or sell the judge and buy am Alfa. If I was facing that choice, I’d keep my Alfa…

@Gwion - another one that’s amazingly tedious to clean, any Circuit Judge and Alfa carbines. Cleaning those is a teeeeeeeeeedious task. Yet, probably the most fun gun I have.

Yeah, been thinking of offloading the circuit judge for a while. 99% of my shooting is at the range where it’s single round loading so the circuit judge hasn’t been used in over 12-18 months. I’ve also got 2 other 22s (Brno and a lithgow crossover).

I’m pedantic about cleaning, so I’ll let you know :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Gwion Here you go, get one of these and it will solve some of the problems. Easy to clean :joy::+1::wink:

89o0

1 Like