Sambar Deer Thread

Sambar hair on fence.

Another rub. But on a pine tree.

I dont have a pic but pulled this off the net. They have a dent at one end and matching point (nipple) at the other.

Nah Mate they are Olives take a handful and stuff em in ya mouth. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m not even a deer hunter’s breakfast but this sounds very familiar to angling success.

There’s a common saying that 90% of fish are caught by 10% of anglers. This 10% of anglers put in the hours to learn about their target species, rather than just “looking for fish”. It can take a huge number of hours and fruitless trips to work out a particular species in a particular area but once you have them sussed, you go from the 90% of anglers who catch SFA to the 10% of anglers who can reliably go out and land their target species almost at will. Of course, if you just persist in going out and “just looking for fish”, you will remain in the 90% of anglers who catch SFA. If you can glean and compile info from each failed outing, you will eventually suss the species and the area out.

Just my 2 bob’s worth…

Totally agree that camo is over rated and critters can be very hard to see.
I have a dog that is black and tan. I often whistle him up because i think he has strayed too far (he moves very quietly through the bush), only to find he is standing in a shadow about 10m away. If he is still and you are not looking very carefully (ie: just scanning, trying to cover ground), you just can’t see him!

Also, with more experience, you automatically pick up tell tale signs of what you are looking for. Experience is the difference between intellectually knowing what you should be looking for and automatically seeing what is actually there.

1 Like

I think you have summed it up pretty well there G. :+1:

" It can take a huge number of hours and fruitless trips to work out a particular species in a particular area" And that is the issue for most hunters. Finding the time with competing priorities such as family, work, other interests etc.

1 Like

Yep… and that’s the case with 90% of anglers as well…

Such a common theme across a variety of activities. Success is gained through knowledge, which is gained through experience, which is gained through dedication and failure; which few people are willing to persist through in order to gain that experience and knowledge…

From what I see, my best guess would be that that’s a stag.
It’s difficult to gauge the width from the photo (looks about 4 - 4.5cm?) with the cartridge length ways, but looks like not quite a mature stag.

edit: For clarity, I’m replying to the image of the deer tracks in the dirt. i don’t see a ‘reply with quote’ at the moment.

Mmm, so im no expert. But fairly “pointy” and on top of the front mark soooo, i guessed doe. But TBH not certain. Correct not a large mark either. Its a 30-06 case from memory.

The front print looks quite rounded to me and both cleaves from it seem even in length. On a hind, the outer cleave on the front, should be (typically) longer than the inner. Difficult with just the one print and I’m most likely wrong as I’m just going by one pic, but if I were standing there, I’d be looking for others prints from the same deer for comparison and verification.

I’d also guess it was quite recent from when you came across it.

Got so much sambar up around home they’re regularly getting hit poor buggers

Hey, im no expert. Just a drip under pressure. Lol. Yes they look fairly fresh. Cant even remember where/when i took the pic for certain.

@ZombieLord to quote a post or part of a post just highlight the section that you want and a quote “button” appears, click on it and it will post the quote.

1 Like

Noice. Thx

1 Like

Your welcome, and welcome to the forum. Please feel free to wander around and say hello in the welcome section.

And share experiences and knowledge. Welcome @ZombieLord

Sambar deer droppings. Perhaps a week old. Note the nipple and dent to match. 30-06 for size.

These are Roo droppings, probably a grey as plenty in the area. Fairly fresh. Note they are dark and a tad shinny. A bit slippery if you pick them up. 30-06 for size.

My cheap game camera got this pic of a Sambar about 2 weeks ago. Ignore date & time as i didnt set it on this occassion.

Looks like i will be going back. :+1: