Ruger precision 22lr first day out !

cheap bushnell banner scope that WILL be upgraded very soon!

4 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

Was strong gusts of wind , hoping to get better results with a better scope and some calm weather, but all in all I’m definitely not disappointed.

4 Likes

They are good fun. I have one too. Like a lot of .22s its picky on ammo. Very varied results depending on choice. Good results for a brand new rifle. What ammo did you try?

1 Like

Just cci standard for now mate,they seemed to drop of dramatically after that 75 metre mark tho. Have you had any luck with hyperverlociry ammo if so what was best?

CCI mini mags went alright, also Remington bulk ammo did well for the cost. Didn’t like Eley at all, or Highland.

1 Like

I’ll go to the gun shop today n get a few types to try this arvo.
I’ve got mini mag at home but they didn’t impress me at all through my other 22’s not the accuracy tho they just seem to have no punch at all not sure if I got a dud batch or what? A lot of people like them!

Try some Eley Standard in it…Its the base of the Eley range …std. velocity should carry a bit further too!

1 Like

My Ruger did pretty well with CCI standard. Sk rifle match and Eley subsonic HP were the best in mine. I did try Eley standard. But it was about the same as the CCI. I haven’t really check Ammo prices recently. I know most of it has gone. I did see CCI standard for $540 per 5000. At my my local. So I assume that’s probably the cheapest if your prepared to buy in bulk.

1 Like

Mate you are right cci standard hands down is much more accurate than all the hyper velocity stuff I tried!
So I’m gonna stick with them , do you know if they come in hollow points?

Hyper velocity 22lr ammo is never as accurate as std. velocity stuff in my experience.

1 Like

Depends on the ammo. All hearsay, but shooting Elley (and possibly SK Rife Match, yes, yes, I know, premium ammo) is audibly a lot louder than any standard ammo I tried. Likewise, CCI mini-mag seems to perform alright. In fact one could argue that standard (shitty plinking) ammo going transonic beyond 35m could have an adverse effect (pretty sure there’s a thread on that too here). Test, test, test.

And another thing to consider, what are you doing with it? Hunting or plinking? Hunting, just get a brick of premium ammo and be done with it. Plinking, meh, who cares, soft drink cans don’t care.

I have premium ammo for scoped rifles, which I don’t even shoot often. For the rest, I did extensive amount of testing, very scientific testing at random shit with iron sights from 60yo+ rifles and it all point to one particular brand, which is, ‘CBAA’ AKA Cheapest Bulk Ammo Available :smiley:

6 Likes

Hunting and plinking , I’d like to find some hyper vel ammo that shoots acceptable just for the extra hitting power.

For serious target work hyper velocity simply dont cut it…all other variables being equal. 10yrs competitive smallbore competition proved it for me.
8mm 5 shot groups @ 50m was the norm.
Also a shit load of dry fire training…it was too much hard work, and not enough fun, in the end.

2 Likes