Rimfire Field rifle....

Anyone shooting SSAA Rimfire Field competition? I wouldnt mind giving it a go, or at least practising the course of fire, when at the range. There is postal competitions, which could be worth a look too.

Can’t say I have, but what is it? Link to rules somewhere?

https://www.ssaa.org.au/disciplines/all-disciplines/field-rifle-3-positional-scoped-air-rifle-and-nra-any-sight/#

It’s my gig. You just need a 25m and 50m range and you need post supports for the standing post and sitting post.

Rapid fire 25m 4x3 rounds 15 seconds for each burst of three. You get 2 extras as only the top 10 are scored off the 12 shot.

Off hand 25m
15min 10 rounds.

Standing post 50m
Using a post for support like you would in the bush. 15 min for 10 rounds

Sitting post 50m
As above but just on your but.

2 Likes

Awesome! Is it the same target for 25/50m? The 12 shots on one target? Then 10 shots on each target/position?

Its the same size target for both distances. Need 4 target cards in total, 8 scoring rings.

You shoot five rounds on each of the two targets (1 card). This means you can get a max 100.10 from each position.

You only get the bonus shot in Rapid fire. This means 6 shots a ring but the lowest scoring shot is ignored.

Just realised that’s not the best target a it has a cross fire but you get the idea.

1 Like

Thanks heaps @Gregfiddich!
Looks like fun! Im keen to give it a go. Rimfire shooting is pretty attractive at the moment. I thought if I’m going to practice the match, i want to practice it the proper way, so thankyou very much, you’ve filled in the gaps for me! I will let you know how i go.

2 Likes

The 4x3 Rapid is standing free hand also, yes?

1 Like

Sure is.

2 Likes

Whats your best rimfire match score?

I once got a 380 but typically around 370 lately. I want to move into AA so have to get better and more consistent with the 380.

1 Like

Shot hot mate!!! I know my ol Anschutz wont let me down…it will me holding the rifle.

You can’t go wrong with them. All the top shooters use 54 or 64 actions.

1 Like

Had a few M54s love em…only have an old 1450 repeater now, but its typical Anschutz accurate.

1 Like

Gday…any scope power limits? Would 22-250 be overkill for the CF match? The 3P NRA Match sounds ok too!

No restrictions on scope. Most are around 20-30 times. The more you have the more you see your wobble. I shoot with 25x on mine. You need to be able to clearly see your shots which is the main reason for the high magnification. Parallax/ side focus to 25m is another good thing to have.

The 22-250 is fine but the extra recoil and heat causing barrel mirage can get crappy.

It’s a pretty high round count especially if you do 3p so can get pricy.

1 Like

The targets aren’t far away and they’re paper, so .22-250 is burning about 3 times as much powder as you’d want/need to.
That leads to the recoil/heat issues listed above.

1 Like

Yeah i kinda gathered that. Im thinking 222, 221FB, 218B, or 22H would be prime cases for the match.