Refurbishing a stock

Yeah the first coat they put on was the cause it started peeling so this makes me think I hadn’t taken it back far enough or the pressure pack marine varnish may have reacted with the old coat then to make it worse I again should have taken it right back then, but only rubbed it back after stripping it ‘‘BUT’’ this last time I absolutely sanded the feken hell out of it right back checkering gone, dints gone ,it even felt better and looked better , I think the stuff they used originally was deeply embedded into the stock and should have been taken out in the first place . The first sanding sanded back smooth and now I believe because of the old coat was still there because bare wood would feather a little I presume but all sorted now I hope and if it comes up good you’ll get a few pics

1 Like

Yes JS that’s what I done but this last time today I used a small fine piece of cloth ( fingers were feken sore from sanding) and a lot thinner coat than the first failed shot and it’s looking a lot better so only 5 coats to go. (how long between coats do you leave it?)

Last time I did it, during the day it was 3 hours. Towards the evening when it got colder, it remained tacky after 3 hours, so overnight and started again. Some were 4 and 5 hour brakes. Min 3 hours. Some were 4 hours, 6 hours and overnight. As long as it’s not tacky to touch, to avoid steel wool sticking, you’re good.

Good-O i’ll do that , i’m a little spooked from the 2 failures so maybe i’ll leave them over night to be safe, thanks

I’ve put the second coat on at 3pm ,I used steel wool on the first coat then recoated just had a look and it’s looking not too bad ,I picked up a couple of scratches but you have to look hard to see then also 2 small dents or more like little chips i’ll fiddle with them tomorrow and see if I can cover them. Thanks everyone for your input .cheers. I’ll put some pics on when i’m done

1 Like

I think I have some type of OCD because every time I think ‘‘Yep this my last coat ‘’ I find a blemish and have to remove it even though I have to look hard to find it, ‘’ but I do’’ :grinning: I’ve put 5 coats on so far the fifth will dry overnight :relieved: so here’s hoping all goes well , but 6 coats is the limit , the finish is good, better than I expected but the blemish is stuck in the back of my mind :laughing: :laughing:

When I was doing one stock I was finishing with a furniture polish and I found myself oiling it and giving it a rub down with 2000 wet and dry every night for about two weeks. It wasn’t about the finish really any more, I was just enjoying fondling it every night with that beautiful smelling and silky smooth oil. Fetish over Finish

Hope ya talking about the stock mate :rofl: yes I understand mate and yes this rifle is my pet 22-250 the one I use all the time at the moment i’m waiting for an exchange barrel and action to turn up from the GS , rather than rebarrel I bought a new barrel and action and traded the old one , I wanted to keep the stock as I’ve modified it to suit me perfect , so now looking forward to the finished product

‘‘Done’’ !!! last coat

4 Likes

Looks beautiful mate.

Mate fantastic job. Well done. Looks an absolute treat. :+1:t2::beer:

Thanks fella’s

Also thanks to those that put me on the right track :+1:

Looking good! Loving the pillow touch, that’s how you know you have respect for your time and work.

Thanks mate

That came up sweet

Yeah i’m ‘‘Chuffed’’ mate thanks

1 Like

Looks the goods, mate. Well done. Now it just needs a rifle in it! :wink::+1:

It’s a CPA rifle that I had built in 2014 for long range BPCR and silhouette. You could save $600 U.S at the time for “unfinished” stocks. While waiting for the rifle to be built I found their listings for their premium stock timbers. I spent $400 upgrading to the exhibition grade timber. They weren’t keen to supply that grade of timber unfinished as in the past, folks had stuffed it up and then blamed them. As they knew me personally, they let me get it. I took it back over to the U.S last year and showed it to them, they were impressed with my work on finishing the stocks. The photo above was taken two years ago, it still looks the same.
Just realised that I meant to post this in the stock refinishing topic, sorry.

Hey Mods, it might pay to move my other post with the photo of this rifle, without it, this makes no sense. :upside_down_face:

Yes Gwion I hope it turns up soon ,they said between 1-3 weeks but i’m doubting that with the situation with this virus , its been almost 2weeks since I sent the old barrel and action to the GS so shouldn’t be long hopefully

1 Like