Recipes for hare?

It sounds like hare should just be put in the “it tastes like shit” basket and be left where it drops to save yourself the hassle in the future.

1 Like

Did someone say KFC? That’s a Samoan delicacy. While you’re here I’ll give you the shop recipe we’ve been using for a decade. Its nice because you can choose to go down the MSG path or not.

2kg Plain Flour
500gm or 1LB bag of Tapioca Flour
3/4 cup of coarse salt
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper (as in grind pepper until you have 1/4 cup worth)
OPTIONAL: 1/4 cup Ajinomoto fine MSG OR 1/2 cup chicken powder (asian grocery)

The following is very adjustable to suit your tastes. The above makes a nice straight forward Fried Chicken Take Away style dredge that you’d get in the 80’s. I add the following for the shop:

4tbs garlic powder
4tbs onion powder
1tbs cayenne pepper
2tbs dried sage powder
1tbs dried rosemary, crushed or powdered
1tbs thyme finely crushed

Sounds like tonnes of salt and msg I know, but its enough to do 120 pieces of No 11 chicken easily.

Buy fresh chickens and break em down yourself, it’s so much tastier this way, you won’t regret it. We never use frozen at the shop, its just not nice.

Anyway, throw your chicken pieces in the dredge bucket. Toss around and let it set up for a few seconds. Place in a colander. Fill the sink with clean water and quickly submerge and quickly remove the colander full of dredged chicken, briefly drain and then put back in the dredge bucket for the second coat. Toss it around briefly and then place on a rack ready to take to the fryer.

Start frying when your oil reaches 175c. Insert the chicken, and immediately turn down to 145c and cook for 15 minutes.

Best recipe for hare that I know of: line your shot up along the spine, pull trigger, make horrible mess of hare, leave in the field for the crows and foxes, go home to a nice steak dinner. :wink:

4 Likes

My dogs like them without the hair on (see what I did there…)

1 Like