Question: does Inox deteriorate or adversely impact wooden stock quality?

Wondering if Inox (Lanoline based), specifically in my case the aerosol can version, impact wooded stocks in some negative way?

For example, gun oil, I hear, over time, absorbs into a wooden stock, darkening the wood from its original finish and deteriorates the quality and integrity of the stock. When guns go in storage, I wipe metal parts with an oily rag and make sure to avoid the wood or wipe it off the wood.

Does aerosol can Inox impact wood like oil does? Or is it a non-issue and I shouldn’t care if I get some or a lot on wood (and just lightly wipe it off)?

Anyone?

I have not found it to be so, but as my guns are mostly all vintage if not already antique they are already knocked around, stained and rough looking so it’s hard to tell.

The non response is a good indication of the members here. If they don’t know from personal experience they don’t post up second hand pass me down stuff at least without saying that’s the source of the information.

Oils aint Oils Sol I think is how it goes from the old TV add. I very rarely use one of the true gun oils like Sweets. It has the dark brown colour like used car oil for some reason. I haven’t seen it darken wood first hand but have seen some old stocks that have that look you described.

As a guess from the colour of Lanox and the fact that it is pretty natural oil and wax I would think it would be ok.

As a warning to others I did find that the foaming Hoppes barrel cleaner marked the wood nearly instantly. it made it a lighter colour.

1 Like

That’s a good tip on the Hoppys thanks @sungazer

@juststarting if you use Lanox i can guarantee the wood will never rust.

A mate of mine has a chemical company and i get a product off him called Lanomax, it’s full on lanolin (when you use it you smell like you f@cked a sheep).
I’ve given a couple of guns i never use a generous rub down with it and i’m sure some of it would have gotten on the stocks anround the metal parts (because i’m just not that careful), i went and had a look at them half an hour ago and can’t see any stains or discolouring on the timber.

I’ve also aerosol G96ed some timber stocks all over along with the barrels & actions (again because i’m lazy) and it’s never done any harm or stained them either.

From my experiences i’d say i’d feel safe with both Lanox and whatever the aerosol propellant is used in the cans too, but that’s just my experience not a guarantee it won’t stain.

Finally I can have an excuse!

It works for me every time. “No no honey, i’ve just been using the Lanomax again, honest.”

Sooo, lanolin was once considered a waste product in the carpet industry. (25 yrs ago) then a smart dude decided it gave a great finish to timber on decking/verandahs He bought it very cheaply by the 205 litre drums and resold it as an alternative to paint or varnish on decking. And thats how the lanox saga started.

My guess would be ok for most timbers. I also wipe down my rifles with it and some gets on the timber. I have never worried about it. Although remember is basically animal fat. I prefer lthe traditional linseed oil.

Still sold for that use.

I think lanolin was used as a carrier in medical ointments at least since the 1950’s.

I’m not jerkiing off in a tub of it, @Wombat. I’m wiping rifles with it.

Ok that wasn’t my meaning. It was a byproduct that was used for various things before its use as a stain/preservative.
I had to treat a fairly large cast iron and brass machine that was in a cedar cabinet as it was going to be sealed airtight for 6 months. Lanox and 2 bags of silca gel kitty litter did the job, absolutely no extra rust. There was some staining from overspray on the timber, but that was unfinished in parts.
The century old varnish was unaffected, 6 months and it cleaned off no worries.