Picking SMLE No1 Mk3

What fumes did you inhale whilst waiting for the RACV to change your tyre?

3 Likes

Well your Finnish M39 Nagant sure shoots!

1 Like

I always thought the No1 MkIII was better looking than the No4. Also the MkIII has a way cooler bayonet. The No4s bayonet looks like it was designed by accountants.
I wouldnt get one that has been “range-ified” ( central sight, no rear sight etc) if I was buying one again.

2 Likes

You are correct on both accounts. Sword vs stabby long nail thing.

1 Like

All beautiful in their own way.

3 Likes

Yeah the MK7 bayonets are like tent pegs

Oooh, nice P14?

Tbh, after getting a P14, a No.1 Mk.3 Lithgow isn’t as interesting now. One long 303 boi to shoot is plenty for now.

Yes , P14, Eddystone 1917, Good condition.

Hey @Supaduke whats the gold plate on the P14? Is it a rack number or unit mark?

The wood looks way better than my one. Where did you check for the Eddystone manufacture year? Would be cool to check my own.

My research online and asking fellow gun nerds had led to 3 possible conclusions.
It’s generally agreed it’s a racking number issued post British Army service. It then went to either:
1- The RAF
2- Somewhere in North Africa with French forces
3- The Dutch East Indies , Dutch Forces.
I can provide a close up, you’re welcome to try. I went with RAF…because I had an RAF issue blue sling :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very cool!

I am starting to think that we need a sin bin area for people who are starting to lose the plot.
This should be reported to the relevant authorities as this might be a possible side effect of being on home detention for several months.

As our old mate Darren used to say “shame, shame, shame on you”

2 Likes

Derryn…

1 Like

I like BSA for a pommie No1, cool history making rad bikes as well as guns and I like their logo.

Fighting over No1 V’s No4 V’s Jungle is like fighting over which shovel looks cooler. It wasn’t made to look at, they Are All just tools in the end made to do a job.
They are all cool, they are all ugly and they are all beautiful!

2 Likes

They were only made at Eddystone for two years 1916-17, for a total of 604000. There should be a date under the handguard just In front of the reciever. But if it’s over 300000 you can be pretty sure it’s 1917.
Hard to get serial dates on P14s, they chopped around between factories

2 Likes

Well, I do have a MH muahahaha ya bunch of savages.

1 Like

All sorts of fumes, latte fumes, vape fumes (berry flavour if you’re wondering) :slight_smile:

Why don’t you report me to the forum admin, I hear he’s a real prick.

“What fumes did you inhale whilst waiting for the RACV to change your tyre?”
Hey BA, I’m tipping soy latte fumes…lol
However, I am starting to question why I pay for the service without ever using it.??? :hushed: