Milling black powder?

You could just use a piece of copper wire if you were in a hurry. Not very comfortable but it does have a lower resistance than the bought ones.:grin:

Correct. In theory some resistance is better as will be provided with the wrist strap, but for Ben’s purpose just a length of wire would be fine. We need to remember he isn’t making this stuff every day by the kg.

It’s about risk reduction.

Not wearing pants would reduce his risk from static electricity significantly.

Well then I’m well on my way to safety, lol!

Static electricity setting off black-powder is an urban myth and has been de-bunked numerous times.

Here’s just a couple of experiments trying to set it off using spark

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

Don’t you believe it. It’s a lottery. Control static. There is a lot of miss information on the net.
There is an acronym in the industry to help remember what can cause an ignition:
Friction
Impact
Spark
Heat
Incompatable

FISHI. It’s normally just fish but that ignores chemical incompatibility. So I add the I.

Better to be safe than sorry, i say.

1 Like

BP is renound for going bang during the manufacturing process.

Original attempts at making smokeless resulted in many, many explosions that blew up factories trying to make it. Winchester almost destroyed the entire plant in their early attempts at smokeless powder manufacture. They kept loading black-powder in ammo as it was deemed safer at the time.

First thing is why do you need priming powder ?
Second is I make mine in a stone mortar and pestle a small amount at a time and gently grind it in a circular motion.

I’m still coming to terms with oldbloke “rubbing it gently with hard wood with a round end”. Whatever works for you I say.

2 Likes

You need priming powder for it’s ease of ignition over 3F. You can make it by wetting with a volatile liquid, grinding, then allowing to dry. Best method is to simply sieve some commercial black 2F or 3F and gather the fines that you get. What you have left after sieving is a powder much the same as Swiss!.Cheers.

Hmmm,funnily enough,I can’t tell the difference between it and 2f in my flintlock…

@GUN-DMC how sid you go with this project?

Haven’t gotten around to playing with it yet