Media Release - Shooters have "absolutely zero" faith in WA gun law reform consultations

ONE of Australia’s largest shooter representative bodies says it has “Absolutely Zero” faith that Western Australia’s Government will pay any attention to consultation regarding its draconian new firearms laws.

The Western Australian Government has released a draft Consultation Paper of its completely rewritten firearms laws, which contain a number of anti-law abiding firearm owner measures including hard limits on the number of guns a licensee can own, the requirement for regular physical and mental health assessments, and considering a person’s “views, opinions, and attitude” when deciding on their fitness to hold a firearms licence.

Shooters Union Australia president Graham Park said it was obvious the Cook Government, which had a supermajority in both Houses of Parliament, was going to do whatever it liked, and that meant any objections to the “core” elements of the laws would end up tossed straight into the bin.

“We have absolutely zero faith the Western Australian Government will engage in any sort of good faith consultation with the law-abiding firearms community,” he said.

“Some of the proposals in this legislation actually seem malicious to us – for example such as deciding that someone with opinions or an attitude WAPOL don’t like will not be a Fit & Proper Person to have a firearms licence.

“Our WA supporters have told us they were not consulted with, but rather dictated to about what the new laws would involve – and absolutely none of them support any sort of cap on how many guns a licensed shooter should be able to own.”

“Even the Law Reform Commission Report did not think firearms limits were necessary.”

Mr Park said the WA Government had form when it came to ignoring or dismissing anyone who disagreed with their agenda, and there was no reason to think that was going to change.

“This is the same state government that had identifiable maps showing where Perth gun owners lived published on the front page of the newspaper, and they just shrugged when people rightly complained about the very real threat to licensee safety they had created,” he said.

“We don’t believe for a moment that the WA Government will seriously take on feedback from us or other firearms users regarding their new laws, and any minor tweaks they do make will be on largely inconsequential stuff that will act as a fig leaf so they can pretend they did some consultation with people before they ram the laws home anyway.”

4 Likes

All WA shooters should move to the real Australia. With the skilled labour shortages over there it would cripple the c@nts, plus its a shithole anyway, we have dirt too.

5 Likes

Anyone willing to adopt any refugee firearms I may have in the future? I’ll pay postage and PTA costs before handing them over to WAPOL

4 Likes

We have a sell section here, I am sure someone will give them a home.

2 Likes

Going to be a few. I’ll have 10 to move on.

what a clusterfuck

2 Likes

They are lying.
We know they are lying.
They know we know they are lying.
Yet, they’re still lying.

3 Likes

I’m sure we could set up a refugee camp here in Qld and facilitate regular visitation trips for you to see & play with your loved ones lol.
But seriously if any of you guys need anything to be transferred & held for you while you figure out a plan or just to give you guys more time to sell for respectable prices instead of getting reamed in the mad fire sale just say the word. I’ve got spare space here for probably 8 or so scoped rifles (or 10+ naked ones) & probably half a dozen hand guns.

5 Likes

@JSS youre alot nicer than me, I eas gunna offer them 10 bucks a gun!

1 Like

Nah not really, it’s a complete scam, once i get the guns i’ll just keep 'em and change my number. Why waste 10 bucks.

4 Likes