Mauser M18 223 any good?

Anyone bought one of these? Good, bad, or otherwise??

You would think being a Mauser that it would be good, I’m keen to hear too!

1 Like

I’ve been wondering that too! The price is right and they appear to be a German-made Mauser so I’d be very interested in knowing how the M18 is in a “normal” calibre like .223 or .308 too.

Yeah I like most features, except for the plastic stock. But if that’s the only plastic on it, and they are real deal Mauser, I might be keen on one in 223.

https://ssaa.org.au/news-resources/firearms-industry/mauser-m18-means-pedigree-at-the-right-price
For those interested…
Plastic bolt knob, bolt shroud and trigger guard…hmmm that changes things for me…

So has anyone bought one??

I have a M18 223 in stainless. Very happy with it. By no means do I consider myself a good shooter but was able to achieve 1" groups (from a bench) at 100 m straight after sighting in, which is good enough for me. This was with ultra cheap Winchester white box. I particularly like the smooth bolt action and 60 degree lift. Trigger feel is good and light , even though its adjustable and could go even lighter - have not felt the need. I prefer the feel of the action and trigger to a Howa which is similar in price and probably quality. Rem 700 mounts are a plus. I’ve had to tape some foam on the stock to raise the comb a bit for a natural sight picture through the scope and mounts I’m using but maybe I have a short neck…
The 223 uses the same long action as the larger calibres so the mag is blocked and the bolt stroke is longer than it has to be for a 223 but its so smooth it doesnt matter.
So far the plastic (trigger/guard/stock/forend/mag/bolt knob etc) has been no issue whatsoever and as far as I’m concerned are just less things to ding/scratch/rust.
My view is that its currently the best value in a sub $1000 rifle, and probably compares well to some +$1000 rifles - have seen it compared favourably to a Tikka T3 but dont have personal experience with a T3 myself.

1 Like

I was interested in one, but i have been looking at the Sauer 100 classic timber, but its about 1300…reviews seem all good…

Pretty sure they come out of the same factory and use the same actions at least.

Possibly…

It’s essentially the same rifle as the Sauer 100 which I love. Super accurate and smooth reliable action for the price. The main downside is the terrible plasticky stock.

3 Likes