Marlin 1892 22lr new project

I’m normally one of great optimism but think this one is going to test my patience. This little rifle(well parts attach to a piece of wood) came to me in a pretty cool way, a neighbour of a friend was cleaning his backyard up and found this little rig in the dirt where hes parents once had a shed. So the neighbour Gave it to my friend, he works at the LGS which passed it onto myself at the cost of a PTA. Now I’m at point of testing function which was done last night and I’m tearing it down as we speak. One thing that stands out is I’m going to need to fabricate a new firing pin which is missing, and the hammer doesn’t stay cocked as it lets go when bumped (not very safe). Hopefully I can get started on the rust removal by electrolysis this afternoon and really Clean this rifle up. Does anyone On the lobby have a similar rifle if so I possibly get some technical dimensions from the from the firing pin? If not I will just hand fit one, as for the hammer spontaneously letting go I’ll will build up the wear with the Tig on the cocking piece and see if it elevates the issue. image|375x500

Pic of the firing pin

3 Likes

Oh man, ultimate project. Can’t help you with specs, but damn, I’d love to fiddle with that girl.

1 Like

@juststarting Man I love this stuff, it’s just an awesome snapshot into the past and how things where done so well back then, with out the technology we have today.

Go here: - http://www.wisnersinc.com/model/marlin-lever-action-rimfire/
Because it’s USA, and their web-site will NOT accept a credit card that is not issued in the US, you will need to resort to somebody you know in the states to purchase and send to you. I had to resort to that subterfuge but it did cross all the hurdles.

1 Like

Cheers @oldAG I’ll have a look now.

Very cool. Great to see it didn’t get scrapped. Really looking forward to seeing this come together

1 Like

Quick up date after a bit of research this firearmss date of manufacture is 1904 according to oldguns.net.
Have the lever currently undergoing electrolysis as it was the worst part. The receiver and barrel are up next when I get a big enough tub lol

1 Like

Could you start a thread on how you go about this electrolysis magic?

1 Like

@JMC_Def please

1 Like

I’ve got a barrel that was sitting in a paddock for decades then went through a flood- its more than a little rusty. I might try electrolysis down the bore using a couple of insulating spacers and a rod for the anode.
The barrel is scrap anyway.

1 Like

You could just grab some downpipe and an end cap from Bunnings.
It looks like a great project.

1 Like

More than happy too How does one start this thread, as I discovered today by accident you can also reverse the current and coat your part with the (red oxide) or rust similar to rust bluing but more testing needs to be done on that to see if you can build viable layers of oxidation.

1 Like

Here ya go…

click on forum logo, then…

1 Like

Liar. I keep clicking on your picture and all it does is get bigger then smaller.

6 Likes

@juststarting cheers.

Here’s a couple of docs, source long since forgotten, that may be useful to anybody.
The electrolytic process is 3 separate pages.

1 Like

One thing I would like to caution that is not in old ag’s post is that the electrolysis process can cause a thing called hydrogen embrittlement in carbon and high carbon steels which we know most of if not all firearms are, if you use this process on internal parts or hammers, you must as a precaution cook your parts off in and oven @ around 220 Celsius for a minimum of 4 hours to drive of hydrogen trapped in the steel then you are good to go.

1 Like

@JMC_Def what are you, some kind of rocket surgeon?

1 Like

@bentaz Haha Nah just read lots about firearms and their metallurgy, but now that you mention it I may have built parts for rockets but that’s a story for another time

1 Like

Quick update on the girl she’s coming along nicely. In the process of fabricating a new firing pin thanks to good people at wisners inc in the states for sending me the specs so I’ll share them here. After cleaning the bore it seem as thought someone has ran a rifling button through their anyone seen this sort of thing before? In other words two sets of rifling. The action has Been sand blasted parkerised then powder coated in a charcoal semi matte finish. Been working on a stock also can you guess the Aussie hardwood? As it’s just a 22lr I think this timber may prove heftier than its walnut counterpart but once I stabilise it it should work just fine for this rifle. Enough ramblings let’s get on with the pics

3 Likes