Looking for Tips for First Time Hunting

So, someone recently has invited me to their property to assist them with rabbit control, and I’m quickly realising that I know absolutely zilch about hunting.

I understand the basics, like making sure you correctly identify, and that there is nothing behind the target, and where to shoot on the body.

I had a couple questions though:

How do you identify that the rabbit isn’t diseased before consuming it? I understand that checking the kidneys and liver is important?

Also, how do you guys manage ranging on your rifle, and distance estimation? My .22 is currently sighted for 50m.

Finally, for rabbits, what kind of rounds do you use? I have hollow point and lead nose at home currently, I’m sufficiently accurate with the hollow point, but get much better groups with the lead nose.

Rabbit shooting is pretty straight forward, and good fun, different groups of rabbits act differently, if theres alot of hunting pressure on them they’ll be pretty cautious, but if not then they’re pretty dumb but will catch on quick as their mates go down. I don’t have great luck stalking as they’re so cagey, My technique is pretty much find where they are lay down with a bipod, and wait, i use a range finder, and go from there they camouflage in amazingly well and can be a real bugger to spot. Can all depend on terrain as well, you’ll get the hang of it in the first few minutes, if stalking, keep things slow and quiet don’t rush and most importantly enjoy being out in the great outdoors doing a service for the environment

1 Like

What kind of distances in your experience were the most common? Should I leave my rifle sighted for 50, or have it be something else?

I think you’ll be fine at 50 it depends on terrain, if its wide open short grassy paddocks then you might find the distances opening out a bit, but you can just hold over, and if you miss, with a .22 you can see the splash and adjust, use ammo that you know, don’t go switching half way through as it’l change your poi you’ll be right

Cool beans. Looks like I have most of the basic stuff at home already, though I think I should bring a first aid kit - need to buy one of those.

Yeah mate, shooting bunnys isn’t rocket surgery and like @AusTac said it will vary from spot to spot. Don’t over think it, just get out there and enjoy yourself and with a bit of trial and error you will figure out what works at that spot.

Happy hunting homie!

I reckon you are in for a good day out @Tempestman . Just keep it simple and enjoy. And dont forget to tell us how you went!

The trick with rabbit hunting is to be where rabbits are and have a rifle.
They prefer open ground that is peppered with hiding spots.
Grassy paddocks with weed clumps or fallen trees etc.
Generally won’t see them in heavy bush or forrested areas. Places there is grass, not heavy bark and follage cover like the bush.
Anywhere in the head or chest area will usually knock em down pretty quick.
No need to be a super sniper. Line up the dome and pop

The trick with (insert animal) hunting is to be where (insert animal) are and have a rifle.

Solid advice.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::joy:

Having good eyes is the most important thing. I went once with @bentaz and he had to spot them for me. I couldn’t see jack until they were in the scope. Old age is a bitch.

1 Like

Partly tongue in cheek, but really the fundamentals of hunting, is hunting where your prey lives. No amount of skill will help you if there is nothing there.

Probably the most truth to it… Nothing guarantees hunting success, as time in the bush. More time you spend walking, more experience you get. Nothing more to it. And then, there’s luck. 10% skill, 90% luck that the animal will actually be there, when you’re there.

As far As the health of the rabbit goes,the first thing to check is the eyes, if they are all gunked up or if they are cloudy / milky then don’t eat it,when you gut it have a look at the liver n kidneys to see if they look normal and healthy.
But to be honest I don’t gut rabbits, so I don’t actually check. I skin them, then just remove the legs and back straps and just make sure it’s well cooked.
Another issue can be fleas, bunnys are often covered in them, I try to hang them from a fence around a tree branch and as they cool down the fleas will abandon ship.

1 Like

Had a great day out today - on the property they seemed to stick around on a hill next to a lake rather than a flat plain with long grass next to the river.

There were also a bunch of different animals there. Saw a fox, and at least 2 doe - not sure on species though, as well as a tonne of wombats.

Only managed to kill one rabbit though, and the little bugger had the nerve to roll into a hole, and subsequently disappear.

6 Likes

Sounds like a cracker of a day mate!

Now it’s all downhill, addiction in full swing - here we come.

Get used to it mate, it happens to me all the time, down a hole or back into the blackberries.

1 Like

Yep he’s here forever.