Long Range Precision Shooting: What Do I Need?

This would make a good dedicated thread if someone who knows about it and has time can explain the vagaries of Omark’s bolts.
Info available seems very erratic….

2 Likes

I’ll ask Brock what he knows and post it up. He’s a gunsmith in the wheatbelt so has seen a few.

3 Likes

Well i bit the bullet and bought the 223 lefty Omark 44 on ssaa gunsales. As i said previously i have had a shoulder replacement a few years ago and cant shoot the larger cals.
Looking at getting into f class. This rifle seems to be made up of quality however the stock is very average.
Does anyone know of a stock manufacturer with a lefty stock for a model 44? Thinking of a thumbhole.
Cheers Darren

1 Like

Smart move mate, you wont regret it! Hatchers rifle stocks make a nice thumbhole for Omarks, they were very popular, back when Geoff Slee owned the business. I believe they are all Geoffs patterns/designs. Think a semi finshed Walnut is about 450…did you get the rear sight also??

1 Like

I think Hatchers do one mate.

Brock only has new pins so can’t compare to the other ones. Can’t verify the comment on pins without the step either.

1 Like

Yes i got the old school sights with it

1 Like

Not really old school, just the Target Rifle class, or TR off the sling and elbows. F Class is scoped and rested. I prefer the TR class myself, but both will teach you how to read mirage, wind etc…I think TR refines your shot release more though.
Enjoy it!

1 Like

I’ve got a mate in Qld that makes stocks, excellent ones at that. He also used to be one of the gunsmiths at M.A.B that used to make Omarks. The improvements may have even been of his doing?
He has built many a silhouette rifle on that action, good enough for him to win the World Championship in high-power a few years ago. He can build whatever you want and lists full-bore and F-class stocks on his business card.
His name is Allan Murray you can contact him at, [email protected] or ring him on 07 54330508 or 0428 744 803

2 Likes

I hope to make my own stocks soon, im.working on my pantograph as we speak! Yes i believe TSE bought out MAB. TSE still produce MAB quality thats for sure! They would probably still make you an Omark action if you asked them to. TSE, then Swan barrels for me…

The thing about Al, is that he has blanks in just about every configuration and can do the inletting for most actions without the need for yours. He built me a hybrid stock for my MkX Mauser in .257 Roberts, a cross between his silhouette design and a hunter he does, came out awesome. Mind you I did select a pretty high grade piece of walnut…He also fitted the butt-pad, I don’t think I’ve seen a better fitted one .

6 Likes

I like that stock design! :+1:

Yep, I have a sort of long neck, so the drop at the heel and the high cheek riser/comb work for me.

1 Like

Last time I visited M.A.B they had a supply of actions and parts for Omarks that would fill the back of a ute, don’t know what happened to it.

1 Like

So i bit the bullet and have the omark in 223 on the way. Looking at f class. Now going by the feedback im in the market for a front rest and rear bag. Budget is low and being a boilermaker i was thinking about making an alloy front rest as i also have access to a machine shop. Any ideas or images would be appreciated.
Cheers Darren :beers:

1 Like

The Davies triggers bipod is an easy one to copy. If you want dimensions let me know.

4 Likes

Yes please. Could probably get away with just the dimension for the long legs. Cheers

1 Like

I worked with the guy that started that very design bipod, about 25yrs ago. His name is Ron Sutherland. If you contact the Victorian Rifle Association shop they may have some of his in stock for sale. But they are pretty simple, and easy to make, simple in design, but very stable. I think when he first sold them, they were about $120! Probably treble now.

Should start making them myself…

Took over 16 weeks from order to get that one. Was $240 in 2017. I thought they had stopped making them as you don’t see many around any more.

Started designing a adjustable front bipod today and will hopefully waterjet parts tomorrow. Pics to come. Now on the prowl for a used rear bag if anyone has a surplus. Cheers

1 Like