Loading 7.62x25

What are you aiming at with weight and velocity?

I have to keep the velocity under 1400fps due to range approvals; the projectiles arriving first are 98gr so will see how they go.

1 Like

Friday night reloading session… 98gr JSP. :smiley:

1 Like

One standing on the right looks like it needs crimp :stuck_out_tongue:
Those are Sierra 30 cal aren’t they?

So if you f up a 308 case these are an option?

you mean to form them from? 223, not 308

Oh so its more like a Blackout? I just here 7.62 and think 308 I know its the bore size but it is just hard wired into some brain cell. :grinning:

1 Like

They’re the dummy rounds I was making up to test seating depth, crimp etc so yes, it probably does :stuck_out_tongue:

They’re .308 diameter so not Sierras - they’re from a now-defunct Australian bulletmaker but the price was right so I grabbed them :smiley:

Lucky!

1 Like

load data - use at your own risk.

Okie, so 6.2gr of AP70N with Hornady #31000 (.309" 90gr jacketed hollow point) gets us into 1400fps.

Little snappy, but very controllable, brass is flung I’d say 2m-3m, accurate. No pressure signs on cases.

Nice to know what it feels like. Now, that’s done, I’ll need to cast some bullets and make some cases to shoot service match with it :slight_smile: Will most likely reduce charge to 5.2gr (1212+ fps) for competitions.

1 Like

I too have had a very productive session at the range testing my loads out of a TT-33 :slight_smile:

I used Unique for the powder, Starline brass with Fiocchi Small Pistol primers for cases, and had access to three different projectiles - a 93gr JSP round from a now-defunct manufacturer (.308"), some 85gr Sierra Sportsmasters (.308") and some 78gr LRNs from HRBC sized to .309".

The Sierras proved surprisingly accurate but they’re really hard to get so now I’ve got a load established they’re going back on the projectile shelf and being saved for Combined Services State/National championships.

The 93gr JSPs worked really well too - I was surprised the chrono said they had about the same velocity as the lighter pills, from the same powder charge. I’ve got quite a few of these but when they’re gone, that’s it (the manufacturer no longer exists).

I’m a bit bummed out by how the 78gr LRN projectiles went - they’ll be OK in a pinch for general club matches but I think more research might be needed; possibly reducing the charge to slow them down a bit? Long term these projectiles are going to have to be the best option, especially because they’re affordable and obtainable.

All the loads I tested had noticeable muzzle flash, which I thought was pretty cool too. There were no pressure signs on cases or primers, although I did spend ages hunting around the firing line after the shoot recovering the brass, which was getting thrown around a bit. Recoil was a touch snappy at the more effective loads but still fun to shoot and with noticeably less kick than 9mm.

Edited: HRBC projectiles were 78gr, not 73gr.

Can you post a pic of the hrbc projectiles, please?

Here you go - from L-R, 93gr JSP (.308), 85gr JSP Sierra (.308), 78gr HRBC (.309)

I made an error in my previous post; the HRBCs are 78gr, not 73gr (couldn’t read my own handwriting :p). They’re on the HRBC website as “.32 78gn Round Nose”.

Maybe on the side… Function over your artistic expression lmao