Level of police involvment in club complience

I am reaching out to you Australians that might be part of a club comittee.
With the changes over here in Westganistahn police are taking over responability for complience that SSAA use to. They currently want records for all range officers and range safety approvals but I imagine this will only get worse.

Are the police heavily involved in this sort of stuff on the east coast or is it left to the associations to manage like it use to be here ?

Are we aligning with the rest of the country or off doing our own thing again ?

What do you mean involvement? Like what range officer involvement records? What approvals, etc?

For example, they are requesting current training standards for ROā€™s and SOā€™s for clubs. They want any information related to training and information packages that is delivered to members so they can provide approval if they are happy with it.

Approval is exactly that, we need them to give us approval to have a club. If they donā€™t approve we lose the approved club title and can no longer support firearms.

Basically, over here they have taken over club and range approval and licensing. Normally the association would look after that.

In Vic my understanding is that people like Range officers are trained and assessed by the State organizing body of the sport they participate in.
Range Certification is carried out by the police. The particular range must be operated as per the conditions of the certification. That is by the committee of the club that operates the range.
Its all clear as mud and there would be very few people that know the full picture.

2 Likes

So kind of what we had here before.

Iā€™m over in Queensland and the police Weapons Licensing Branch certify and approve ranges themselves, but their focus is mainly on the templates (ie deciding what the maximum muzzle velocities/distances are) and ensuring the club is running approved matches (each club here has a list of ā€œapproved matchesā€ they are allowed to shoot; itā€™s a very broad list).

The only time Iā€™ve heard WLB start asking about RO qualifications etc is when thereā€™s been a history of issues at a club and itā€™s clear they arenā€™t doing the right thing. Thereā€™s no legally required training/certification to be an RO, although some clubs (especially the larger ones) obviously provide something similar.

3 Likes

Sounds like theyā€™re just looking for another avenue to clamp down on shooters, if they can find ways to interfere & close your clubs itā€™s tougher to get a genuine reason for your guns.

My understanding of Qld is pretty much what @Martini has said. There will be police approvals required re compliance of a new range and the scope of what shoots/calibres the range can handle. But once theyā€™re up & running they have very little input at all other than checks on their security, safe storage conditions, and firearms licenced to the club.

1 Like

So how we use to be.

This all started 2 years ago where they emailed us saying the club isnā€™t approved and we need to apply for approval. Not knowing what they were on about I sent them the police licensing certificate that was provided when the club first started that listed allowed calibers. They told everyone that the previous police assessments are no longer valid and every club must apply for re approval. Now the info they are requesting is getting more and more onerous. All the information they ask for is available from the association but I feel they are trying to side step them completely by going direct to clubs. As JSS said, easier to shut down individual clubs than trying to shut down an association.

Death by 1000 cutsā€¦

3 Likes

This country is fucked! It really is!

2 Likes

In VIC, pretty much what @Martini said.

1 Like

Yep WAPOL audited our club which is not SSAA in recent years. May have been prompted by a incident with a holster and a hole in a calf.

They wanted to see everything apparently, but reportedly were happy with what they got.

I think the only saving grace is they donā€™t actually know what it is they want so will accept most things. As they get more involved they will create policy based on the worst of every club.

Since the QLD police shootings, our Firearms Registry chief is literally going through the legislation page by page and making our club comply with every single regulation, section, sub clause to the letter in an effort to cover their (NT Police) arse in the unlikely but equally horrific event that an NT police officer is harmed ITLOD by a licensed or unlicensed person in posession of a registered firearm.

At the moment its a barney over clubs having their shooters complete an ā€˜approvedā€™ safety course. In the legislation, approved means ā€˜approved by the police commissionerā€™ who last time we checked is not a firearms safety expert and is not surrounded or advised by firearms safety experts.

Our club does a two hour course for new shooters that is 1.5hrs theory and 30 mins air pistol.

1 Like

Yeah, in vic thereā€™s a quite a bit more in terms of safety course process. Depends on the club how long it actually is and over how many sessions, but the core of it is pretty much the same and covers a bit.

Need to keep some relativity in the discussion as it is very different between Handguns and rifles when it comes to clubs giving training on safety. The only training I have ever had at a rifle club is the specific club and range rules.

1 Like

Yes, sorry, 100% handgun post from me. With rifles we are not required to join any club or association, so yeah, nfi

So, as per my previous post going on about compliance, get this latest bullshit:

Good Afternoon Everyone

I am writing to enquire and notify you all that it is a requirement under the Northern Territory Firearms Act 1997, for all Clubs under Section 30B (4) to provide their Annual Reports. These records should be received by the Firearms Policy & Recording Unit within three (3) month after the end of each financial year ā€“ so by September of each year.

As you will note in the attached legislation, there is also the requirement to have this ā€˜in the approved formā€™. No form has ever been officially approved by the Commissioner, however if you meet all the requirement under Section 30B (4) (a), (b), and (c), this will suffice

Signed,
ā€¦

2 Likes

I canā€™t see it getting any better.

I just donā€™t get how much effort and money is being spent on such a small part of public risk when most of the club people they are getting harder on are compliant and unlikely to do such things. I wonder how many hoops cloud 9 has to go through to sell pipes and such specifically for a substance that is illegal to posess ? I donā€™t see them rushing through legislation to stop them selling implements in the sake of public safety.

2 Likes

Under a liberal government they did

1 Like