Interesting pistol case.

Sooo, what causes the bulge? Isnt the cartridge fully supported?

Im with No1. Its a belted case.

@1Fatman can u take a clearer pic?

@1Fatman just how long are they? If its the buldge they must get shorter as the metal has to come from somewhere.?

OK, all info I can gather is that Glock bulge is not circumfrential and is only common to early .40 and 10mm pistols. Gen4 are supposed to have none or very minimal that does not inhibit safe reloading. It is not .40 cal by 1Fatmans measurements but may fit .39 BSA. Other alternative is a serious out of battery condition but in what 9mm chamber that would form a well defined circle I can’t think. I have to hit the hay now, will have another think about it when I get home from work tomorrow, Cheers.

OK here are some better photos.

The belted case measured 18.98mm 0.747
the average of other cases 18.99mm 0.747.5

Bulge.

1 Like

Yep the close up looks like bulge due to unsupported case. Thin Brass cases are not able to withstand the pressures when fired. I am surprised it is not worse to the point of failure.

I see where you’re coming from @juststarting but its very square and flat around the bulge/belt. And a clean uniform sharp edge. Also fatman mentioned earlier, no groove inside the case. That in itself indicates it isnt a bulge.

Maybe some military experimental case. I reakon No1 will come up with an answer.

Nope, you’re just baiting now, which is cute for an old fella. However, cases I posted don’t have inner dents either. Very weird, but, bulge :slight_smile:

The brass must come from some where. Are the cases shorter than usual?

The close up sure looks like an out of battery event, as for the square edge, metal flows as a liquid under pressure, and forming steel by a simple stamp press can achieve similar results. I have an email response from a serious ammo collector in Spain who doesn’t know of any commercial attempt at 9mm belted so he thinks as I do that it is either an out of battery event or a home made attempt at 39 BSA. Very interesting indeed, would love to have the case myself to study the possibilites, Cheers.

It’s a 9mm and fired out of battery, possibly in a Beretta as that’s one of the few pistols where the chamber is square. Glock would be more pronounced on one side due to the feed ramp cutting into the chamber. The other possibility, though slim is that it was fired out of battery in a 380ACP.

1 Like

Would that mean that JS’s Glock theory is how shall we put it, incorrect???

Nope, that would mean that all of you were wrong, and I was correct in saying it’s a bulge.

just not a Glock bulge :grin: But hey I agreed with you.

1 Like

Doesn’t ‘glock’ just means a black handgun?

:innocent:

If it’s black then it’s an AR15, which is a type of lever action shotgun from Port Arthur .

And only available for left hand shooters