HOWTO: Vintage Axe Restoration

P.s. Could even try to find that yellow sticker and reprint it :slight_smile:

Getting there. Has a really nice heft. Very hard steel.

1 Like

Swede’s are as idiosyncratic as aussies, send them an email and chances are original stickers will be in the post.

Rust is gone. Bit of pitting not to bad. Few battle scars as well. Still nice and solid.
Little bit of polish to clean it up.
I will look into those stickers.

5 Likes

Bit more of a polish and a nice new edge sans chips.

That’s coming up a treat mate

1 Like

I’m think I might even cold blue the head. Just to see what it looks like.

1 Like

Still waiting for my bloody handle.

Well look what showed up.
Nice piece of timber.
Very light coat of oil, may have been dipped.
Slightly rough finish. I will give it some finishing before I put it together.
Nice quality piece of wood , plus a wedge and some sort of tapered collet you drive into the top, to help hold it all together.

2 Likes

New bench grinder with some assorted metal cleaning tools inbound as well. Going to christen it cleaning up the head a bit more.

Sanded down the handle. Started at 400, worked down 1000,1500,2500,3000 grit.
Nice and smooth. Shaping the handle head. They allow a fairly generous amount of wood in the head so you can shape down.
I have about 15mm to go with a push fit.
I know it will go on further with a decent tap. My dilemma. Is that enough material removed. Once you bang it on properly you are pretty much committed. Will reassess tomorrow. Turning up ok.

Getting some Swedish steel vibes. Feel like a bloody Viking holding this thing.

3 Likes

Keep going on the head fitting. Need to get it in a fair bit more. Just keep sanding/filing, test fit with a bit of a tap. Knock the head back off and take down the high bits. It can take a dozen or more times to get it right, don’t rush it. Ultimately you want the timber a bit proud of the top of the head for a proper fit.
Looking good.

1 Like

Luckily you look a bit like a Viking as Well mate.
It’s come up a treat, I feel so dirty now coz I’m off to Bunnings today to buy a crap axe, lol.

1 Like

I get it man. Cheap tools have their place.
I just got lucky with this axe. For all I knew it was Chineseum.
They work well enough, just have to sharpen a bit more often.

1 Like

20200827_213231

Well I finished my axe restoration.
Couple more coats of the wax/BLO concoction. I doubt I will use it much, it’s too nice, and I have a chainsaw.
Nice heft. Head is on nice and solid. Probably should have gone down 5mm more but hey.
Looks bloody cool.

1 Like

Turns out I put a really good edge on it too.
Holding the axe, grabbed something down of the shelf, ever so gently tapped my thumb on the edge and well…FK.

Super glue in there making it look worse , but it’s a nice slice. I was injured and impressed at the same time.

3 Likes

I feel like this thread is getting out of control in an abstract sort of way. The most abstract shit on a gun forum, so hi all, I found this rusty axe… 14 days later - look at my finger everyone.

funny.

1 Like

A blunt axe is more dangerous in use as it can deflect unpredictably.
I found this out as a 17 year old when I had to first drive my father to a hospital, then the family 300 klms to a wedding as a learner.

• I think the axe was an Australian made one poorly maintained, still have it up bush (but properly sharpened).
2 Likes