HOWTO: How to clean a rifle (solvents, equipment, method)

Mmmm, will stick to Nulon.

Sorry late not think good. https://crcindustries.com.au/products/crc-clean-r-carb-400g-5081.html

Nulon can kill you too. Its all about how and where you use it.

Brake cleaners have their own issues where if you heat them ( by welding etc) they produce toxic gasses.

Is using Ed’s red just to save money or is there a reason you don’t use Hoppe’s 9 on your milsurps?

Purely to save money, @Nomis

G’day Nomis,
I use a modified Ed’s (no Acetone) on everything, whilst cost is a factor, the fact that it works great on everything I own is a bigger factor. I don’t see the point in paying 2-3 times as much for a product that is not really any better. I still use Sweets or Hoppes BR Copper remover if copper fouling gets too much. I prefer the Hoppes because it can be left in the bore if needed. Cheers.

Went to Super Cheap and Bunnings today and got everything I need to brew up my own!
Was planning to store it in glass jars as I wasn’t sure it it would be ok in plastic. Thoughts?

I’m making the version without the acetone btw.

Glass would probably be the safest over time. But I’m no rocket surgeon.

@Wombat what Nulon product are you talking about?

Carby Cleaner I think. The fast way it can kill you is being heavier than air, filling your lungs (if you are silly enough to be below what you are cleaning, and use a LOT) - you can basically dry drown.

I have just had a look at the sds for both the crc and nulon carby cleaners.
Both contain various common petroleum based solvents & products in the alcohol family.
These products if used as recommended & only in small quantities required to clean barrel bores in a well ventilated area would in my opinion be safe to use. Naturally avoid ignition sources.
On the other hand if you put your head in a plastic bag then spray that product into the bag the result would be very different!

I agree. You’ll notice that I used the words stupid and silly in regards to the incident that lead to it being banned in my workplace.

@Nomis glass jars would be the best. Nothing wrong with a bit of acetone removes any gums from other cleaners drys quickly and without residue.

@Wombat you would really have to be doing something stupid on purpose to be of any risk to yourself. personally in a 3m square room I think you could empty a full can and not notice any effects. There are different quality carby and brake cleaners though. Some just use Toulene which is a paint thinner and used to be illegally added to petrol to make more money at the pump. But I dont suggest it be used in any other way than in open areas and just a squirt on a patch.

Been using it, still alive. LOL

Yes, I felt like drilling today :slight_smile: That is all. All nice and organised and… Yeah.

3 Likes