HOWTO: How to clean a rifle (solvents, equipment, method)

Actually, I lie, sort of! I did switch, but to Inox, not baby oil. Good cheap all rounder. Where I do need to lubricate (hehehehe), I don’t actually use oil. I used to use a very thin coat of gun grease (aka high pressure run of the mill grease), bit later I discovered that Inox also makes high pressure grease, a lot cheaper than gun grease, so I’ve switched to that too, Bunnings all the way lol.

Once you figure out what’s what and why and when, you just realise that 99% is just commonly available materials from any hardware store.

“Once you figure out what’s what and why and when, you just realise that 99% is just commonly available materials from any hardware store.”

:+1:

Just wondering if anyone else does this…

Keep pre-saturated patches, mostly for convenience, but also saves wasting a lot of solvent. I keep a tub like that per calibre.

Anyway, thought that’s a nice tip, considering good solvents are not cheap.

Also, every time I need to pour solvent on something, I do it over a tub like that, tops it up and avoids wastage :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good thinking.

Eh, I saw it on YouTube somewhere, but I will claim it :smiley:

I did for a while but gave it up because CBF. Too many bits and pieces lying around as it is without extra jars of patches…

Related thread about DIY and reverse engineering solvents.

Anyone else does this?

Saves lots of solvent and time. And when I do need to use solvent, I pour over the container, tht way it goes back to patches :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting idea, but I use home made cleaner kept in a Gin bottle, just hold patch over bottle neck and shake bottle, no waste, Cheers.

1 Like

Well, that’s effort and time wastage :slight_smile: However, what are you using @no1mk3 - Ed’s Red?

Yes, but slightly modified. I only use Turps, Kero & ATF. I prevent excess Copper build up by using Sweets every 5th clean. This works well in all my firearms (except BP, of course), and I use a Gin bottle for safety as I wouldn’t be caught dead drinking Gin! Cheers.

Sorry to revive an old post but wondering if there is a big difference between commercial solvents?

I’m going to get some Inox/Lanox as an oil. Just not sure what I’m doing with solvents. G96? Ballistoll? Something from Hopped?

Cheers.

I use Sweets 7.62 for Centrefires.Any of the ones you mentioned should be ok, cost and availability locally would drive your choice.

The best every day solvent, as demonstrated over and over again is Hoppe’s carbon solvent. It has small amounts of, I’m guessing, ammonia, because it does keep copper under control a little bit. But really, Hoppe’s 9 carbon remover is by far the best one I find. On milsurps I use Ed’s Red.

Once in a while you’ll need to get copper fouling out, Sweets is the go. It is potent, so once it’s been cleaned with sweets, patch it out and then use normal carbon solvent, to wash whatever sweets may have remained. You don’t want Sweets in your bore while in safe storage, but it’s the go to for copper fouling.

Innox/Lanox will work fine for you… Also, not sure if it’s innox or lannox, but one is food grade, so you’re actually saving money, because you know… Sex lube :slight_smile:

Lanox can be had in food grade but I wouldn’t use it for anything Id put my fun bits in.

That was a joke, @Wombat.

Actually, something to point out, took a page out of @sungazer’s book and started using this:

This is like magic! A few squirts before cleaning with solvents and let it soak/drain for a minute. Brush, squirt again to wash crap out and then proceed to normal cleaning with solvents. Holly crap, it’s some voodoo magic stuff, takes so much faster and seems to do most of the work for you. Done in fraction of the time.

The CRC one works a bit better. Nearly killed a workmate though - long story but heavier than air gasses will fill your lungs and stay there if you are stupid enough.

What’s that?

CRC brakleen https://sydneytools.com.au/product/crc-5089-500g-brakleen-brake-and-parts-cleaner?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkMai6cH44wIVkHZgCh2ISQDjEAQYASABEgKjEfD_BwE
Like the Nulon or house brand supercheap stuff but stronger.
As always read the instructions or MSDS - as said this can kill you.