HOWTO: How to clean a rifle (solvents, equipment, method)

Sorry to revive an old post but wondering if there is a big difference between commercial solvents?

I’m going to get some Inox/Lanox as an oil. Just not sure what I’m doing with solvents. G96? Ballistoll? Something from Hopped?

Cheers.

I use Sweets 7.62 for Centrefires.Any of the ones you mentioned should be ok, cost and availability locally would drive your choice.

The best every day solvent, as demonstrated over and over again is Hoppe’s carbon solvent. It has small amounts of, I’m guessing, ammonia, because it does keep copper under control a little bit. But really, Hoppe’s 9 carbon remover is by far the best one I find. On milsurps I use Ed’s Red.

Once in a while you’ll need to get copper fouling out, Sweets is the go. It is potent, so once it’s been cleaned with sweets, patch it out and then use normal carbon solvent, to wash whatever sweets may have remained. You don’t want Sweets in your bore while in safe storage, but it’s the go to for copper fouling.

Innox/Lanox will work fine for you… Also, not sure if it’s innox or lannox, but one is food grade, so you’re actually saving money, because you know… Sex lube :slight_smile:

Lanox can be had in food grade but I wouldn’t use it for anything Id put my fun bits in.

That was a joke, @Wombat.

Actually, something to point out, took a page out of @sungazer’s book and started using this:

This is like magic! A few squirts before cleaning with solvents and let it soak/drain for a minute. Brush, squirt again to wash crap out and then proceed to normal cleaning with solvents. Holly crap, it’s some voodoo magic stuff, takes so much faster and seems to do most of the work for you. Done in fraction of the time.

The CRC one works a bit better. Nearly killed a workmate though - long story but heavier than air gasses will fill your lungs and stay there if you are stupid enough.

What’s that?

CRC brakleen https://sydneytools.com.au/product/crc-5089-500g-brakleen-brake-and-parts-cleaner?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkMai6cH44wIVkHZgCh2ISQDjEAQYASABEgKjEfD_BwE
Like the Nulon or house brand supercheap stuff but stronger.
As always read the instructions or MSDS - as said this can kill you.

Mmmm, will stick to Nulon.

Sorry late not think good. https://crcindustries.com.au/products/crc-clean-r-carb-400g-5081.html

Nulon can kill you too. Its all about how and where you use it.

Brake cleaners have their own issues where if you heat them ( by welding etc) they produce toxic gasses.

Is using Ed’s red just to save money or is there a reason you don’t use Hoppe’s 9 on your milsurps?

Purely to save money, @Nomis

G’day Nomis,
I use a modified Ed’s (no Acetone) on everything, whilst cost is a factor, the fact that it works great on everything I own is a bigger factor. I don’t see the point in paying 2-3 times as much for a product that is not really any better. I still use Sweets or Hoppes BR Copper remover if copper fouling gets too much. I prefer the Hoppes because it can be left in the bore if needed. Cheers.

Went to Super Cheap and Bunnings today and got everything I need to brew up my own!
Was planning to store it in glass jars as I wasn’t sure it it would be ok in plastic. Thoughts?

I’m making the version without the acetone btw.

Glass would probably be the safest over time. But I’m no rocket surgeon.

@Wombat what Nulon product are you talking about?

Carby Cleaner I think. The fast way it can kill you is being heavier than air, filling your lungs (if you are silly enough to be below what you are cleaning, and use a LOT) - you can basically dry drown.