Historical Muzzle Loader Accessories: what are they and can I make them? Kieth explains

Yep, can do. There are a few options. Just would like a horn as a project.
A but surprised regarding their scarcity. Just keep looking.

1 Like

What about using a ram’s horn? Too curly?

My neighbours have short horn cattle. I’ll see if they ever have a random mortality or do a slaughter. I do have some ram horns, though…

Rams horn could be used I guess but generally too curly. Same goat horns. Anyway prefer to stick to traditional method.
One will turn up.

Saw another one from the states circa 18th century. I think what was traditional was to use what was locally available and as a lot of interest in this stuff is USA based, they eat a lot of beef… etc, etc…

I’ll let you know it i hear of some cattle horns.

www.etsy.com/au/listing/622224224/set-of-3-cow-horns-animals-horns-decor?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=cow+horns&ref=sr_gallery-1-3

Thanks @Gwion Sheesh didn’t I mention? I’m tight and need them for FREE, or close to it.
About 12 months ago the pet shop had them for $8 each. They are really a waste product.
If I don’t get one in the next few months I’ll look more seriously at other options.
I’m in no hurry.

I have a few cows with horns but you may have to wait quite a long time. Average lifespan is about 17 years these are probably 6.

1 Like

Thanks. If one falls over pls keep me in mind.