Historical Muzzle Loader Accessories: what are they and can I make them? Kieth explains

Kieth makes a heap of different accessories for his historical firearms and 18th Century lifestyle interests. Check out all the cool stuff you can buy or make to go with your big old bang stick…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we1R502zmHs
Keith.

A hammer cap is a stall that fits over the hammer/steel as a safety device on a flint lock. If the gun should accidently be triggered or if the lock goes off on half c+ck, then the flint strikes the leather hammer cap & the gun will not fire. How many of you use a hammer cap?
Fusil%20%20lock%20REDUCED
A leather hammer cap in place on my fusil.
Pistol%20video%20REDUCED
Hammer cap on my pistol.
Hammer%20Stall%20Finished%20002%20REDUCED
Hammer%20Stall%20Finished%20%235%20REDUCED
Keith.
Hard to believe that the word “c+ck” is not allowed on a firearms forum!!!

The swear jar is a overall template that gets installed and you have to then remove words from it as you desire.

No being a Flintlock guy a bit more explanation is needed to get it through my thick skull.

I would have thought that you would not put powder in the tray next to the flash hole until ready to fire as it would just fall out otherwise. or could a spark make it through the flash hole by itself.

Anyway good work cock robin :grinning:

1 Like

The priming pan is covered on a flintlock by part of the hammer/steel, so the gunpowder can’t fall out. When hunting you would likely not have the time to prime the pan, & your movements could spook the game, so you carry the gun loaded & primed.
Yes it is also possible that a spark could ignite the main charge without there being any priming, not something you would ever rely on, but it could happen.

This shows the hammer/steel & pan cover closed, & the force of the c+ck & flint pushing the hammer/steel forward & opening the pan.
Keith.

1 Like

Never really saw the need as my Thompson Hawken has a half c*ck function that is very positive. All my other muzzle loaders are caplocks and I used to carry uncapped. Cheers.

This isn’t really a matter of trusting or not trusting your gun, it is a matter of accidents happen & I think it is a good idea for my own safety & the safety of others to do all I can to make sure my gun is safe. When you have been around as long as I have you get to see a lot of things happen that no one expected or even thought of. Safety first is a good rule to follow.
Keith.

2 Likes

For something that is so exposed, as in its something that could easily catch on a branch or twig in the bush as you casually walk it sounds like a good idea to me.

1 Like

Totally agree sg.
Keith.

The very positive half cck on the Thompson I feel is safer in brush than the cap for sungazers reason. A twig will never move the cck back on this rifle, but can readily brush off a cover. Yes, accidents happen which is why we don’t rely on safety catches which can be forgotten or inadvertantly moved, but if you know your gun, which we should all do, you make your choices. I also feel I have “been around” as long as you have, Keith, we are twins to look at (I wear glasses now, though) and I have sadly seen more than enough unintended discharges from flash offs during loading. rods heading away, etc. Cheers.

A vent quill is used to insert in the vent, to block the vent. This can be used in several ways. 1) to block the vent when loading to stop the vent from filling with gunpowder. If the vent fills with gunpowder it can act as a fuse. This can cause delayed firing because the flash from the pan has to burn through the powder in the vent/flash hole before it can ignite the main charge. This is only a matter of a second, but a good flintlock under normal conditions will fire instantly.
2) If the gun is loaded but you are not using it, then you can place a quill in the vent to remind you that the gun is still loaded, thereby stopping you from double charging the gun.
3) If the gun is loaded but you need to use the lock to make fire, but do not wish to pull the load (unload the gun), then you block the vent with a quill to stop the gun accidently discharging when making fire.
Fusil%20%20lock%20REDUCED
Here you can see the vent or flash hole in the side of the barrel.
Vent%20Quill%20001%20REDUCED
Shot%20Pouch%20002%20REDUCED
gun%20tools%202%20006%20REDUCED
Here you can see a turkey feather quill stuck through the chain link on my shot pouch strap.
Keith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqBxtb5XMds&t=2s
Keith.

Wow. That was grouse. Bring it on Keith. More please.

1 Like

Thanks for that Keith, very informative.
I often wondered why the base was always plain looking, now I know why.

1 Like

I will do my best mate, I very much appreciate your comment.
Thank you.
Regards, Keith.

Thanks Kieth I might set myself a project to make a powder horn. I dont shoot BP as yet but I am not always quick with projects either.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmZv5_DsL2E&t=3s
Keith.

:+1::+1: well done.

1 Like

Keith.

https://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/2016/04/more-on-small-shot-for-smoothbores.html
Keith.