Hi everyone, new here some help would be much appreciated .

I’ve had mine since I was 15 (40 now)
It’s been a great machine I’ve nailed plenty of good deer and pigs with it. 30/30 is my other fav, people laugh at me for my primitive firearms that I refuse to upgrade but they’ve done the job well for me for many years and hopefully many years to come :+1:

Don’t think anyone will be laughing at you here for having classics :slight_smile:

Yeah lots of people have said that, and you’re right it makes more sense, the main reason for my wanting to do it to this rifle was for sentermental reasons,
(Was my grandfathers)
Cheers :+1:

If the gun has sentimental value then I’d suggest leaving it as is, buying a .357 Magnum rifle, and then reloading for both of them.

.357 Magnum is extremely cheap to reload for, and once you’ve got the initial reloading setup it’s easy to add additional calibres.

I fully endorse you enjoying the classics, however - you can’t go wrong with a 6.5x55!

1 Like

I’m not one that feels satisfied with shooting an animal at 300 or 400 yards to me it’s just not hunting, in saying that I have nothing against anyone that hunts that way, I just much prefer to sneak in as close as I can and watch the animal and apreciate it for a bit (100 or less) but that’s me each to their own I guess :wink:

1 Like

In Vic, if you are stalking Sambar, you’d be lucky to get 100m visibility. It’s all close and personal. Horses for courses I guess, I have a mate who does 400m shots from his verandah… Not really hunting, more pest control and freezer filler, but 400 never the less.

The stalk…is the hunt…I enjoy that too, but it’s nice blowing a crow off a fence post at 200m too!!

1 Like

Or he could just buy my chiapa :grin:

1 Like

@Redman, are you sure it’s a Model 94? I ask as they weren’t produced in .32-20. Model '92’s were chambered in .32-20.
Is the calibre you list right? Model '94’s were chambered for .32 Winchester Special and .32-40.

1 Like

No sorry mate it’s a 92 :+1:

1 Like

You could buy a second hand Rossi 92 in .357 for less than the cost of a rebarrel and Smith work.
Your Winchester will remain original, you have a .357 to shoot, you saved money and now you have two guns. Win all round.

2 Likes

Unless Redman lives in WA, lol :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Redman.
You’ll find plenty of enablement; I mean encouragement and information; here!

:rofl::nerd_face::+1:

2 Likes

Just exactly how bad is the barrel? I’ve got a couple that have pretty rough bores but will still shoot cast bullets quite well. My main competition rifle has two spots of bad pitting in the bore but will still put 5 shots into a couple of inches at 100m using iron sights.
.32-20 cases are about, try to get Starline if you can. You can buy cast bullets for them, around 115-120 grain work well, 4 grains of Trailboss, and you’re in business.

1 Like

You can also buy slightly oversized projectiles that will fit in the worn barrel.
As an example instead of a .314 projectile you could run a .318 if it is really worn.

I like the 25-20 too!

Golden flash is the best place to buy ammo for the 25-20 ive found it there for about $40 to $55 cheaper per 50 than most other shops in vic

1 Like

I would reload for it, if i do end up with a 25-20…Whats it like accuracy wise at 50m?

Around 3 inches at 50 . But the gun could shoot way better with someone better behind the butt.
I only ever buy it from them to get the brass its about $15 the difference on the cost getting brass to them loaded to start off with. So its a good start in my book, and the bonus of having a good plinking session as well

1 Like

Yeah i have both 218 bee and 25-20 die sets now…for a one day Martini build…3 inches @ 50 sounds a bit sad…

1 Like