Help me pick a 308

@AusTac - Are they the barrel makers? I didn’t know they made rifles. Centreway has a 308 there for 1000, so I guess that’s worth checking out some time. Has an internal mag, but I’ll live.

@sungazer - It makes sense what you’re saying, but judging on everything I’ve read online about tikkas, it’s really hard to be dissatisfied by them. Kimbers seem to have mixed reviews, though it’s weight is something to be appreciated. I’ll definitely check out the Howa though, it’s a pity that my LGS don’t stock them, otherwise I would have tried it today.

@juststarting - The tikka lite, and the kimber both have flush box mags. They’re both really comfy to hold.

They make some really nice rifles as well as barrels, before i moved i was contemplating selling a kidney for one

Apparently the one centreway has is parkerised. The B14 look to be on the heavy side as well. It’s 3.2 kg - 300 grams less than the tikka varmint. Still worth checking out, so I guess I’m making a cross town trip soon.

Given the budget I’d go a new Howa and put a decent scope on it. They make a good honest rifle that shoots well straight outta the box with OSA ammo.
Before all the haters jump on me, I own 3 Sako 85’s (204, 22-250, 243) and a threesome of Weatherby Accumarks (257, 6,5x300, 300) but at triple the price of a Howa they don’t shoot that much better. My little Howa 1500 mini action .223 will group as good as any of the others will @100m.
As suggested, see which one fits you best and is within your budget and don’t skimp on optics or mounts.

1 Like

Yeah, definitely. I’ve checked the Howa asking prices on the websites of stores in Melbourne, and they’re all looking for 900-1000, so if I get one, I think I’ll order from cleavers or something. I want to hold it first and see if it fits my body well before choosing a rifle though. I posted this because I was looking for other model options - I’m sure my LGS were trying to recommend expensive things lol, and I know they’re limited in what suppliers they have.

Yeah, I’m definitely trying to leave plenty of room for optics. Though I’m currently thinking to get the Vortex diamondback 4-12x40. Cleavers have them for $350, which I think is a great price, and I’ve heard plenty of good things about Vortex.

Mate my 308 is a CZ557. Again an inexpensive rifle, circa $800, however it shoots under half inch at 100m with my hand loads.
It’s not to fussy with projectiles either. Will
Shoot under half inch with several different kinds. Although I have never used factory ammo in it, I would suggest it would go well if you don’t reload yourself.

2 Likes

Vortex make great gear and stand behind their warranty. Keep in mind that they offer from entry level to premium, and $350 isn’t going to be their premium stuff.

1 Like

@CAVOK - I’ll check it out. Just having a quick google, It seems like only one place in Melbourne stock them new.

@Bent_arrow - Ahh, I thought the Copperhead was their entry level scope. Though looking at their website, the next step up is the Viper, which sits around 900-1000, I don’t know how much sense it is to spend half of my budget on a scope. The price I listed was because it’s on special. I think original it was ~430

Edit: I just checked some other stores - they’re asking for roughly 550. No idea how cleavers is doing it so cheap.

@Tempestman spend what you feel comfortable with. My plinkers and my spare rifle have cheap scopes, and they are just fine for the use they get. My “go to” rifle has a mid range Hawke scope on it, and it is miles better than all of the others including the entry level Zeiss I bought a few years, when I made the monumental mistake of thinking that because it’s Zeiss, it must be great…

I’m not going to be shooting past 300 m I don’t think, so I should be fine.

@juststarting - I know you’ve got a few different Vortex scopes. Any opinions on the diamondback?

No preference :slight_smile:

Got a dimaond back on my .22 really happy with it, bit basic but its great for shorter range targets

Howa sporter in 7/08 or 30-06. $695
Leupold VX-Freedom in 2-7x36 $495
Warne Steel maxima rings $130
Sling $ 55
Gun bag - free from your dealer$ 0

$1375

I like my Tikkas, but they have gone up way too much in price. Sakos are lovely. Kimbers I know nothing about. My Howas have a gorgeous slick bolt. The triggers are very good too.

1 Like

Sling, $10 from any rock climbing store :wink:

Cheers for the suggestion - I’m hoping to go to Centreway tomorrow, so hopefully they’ve got some stuff for me to look at and try.

1 Like

John at Centreway will look after you, he is a great bloke to deal with, and fair prices!

Haha, I didn’t get a chance to go today. I forgot it was a public holiday, and that they would be closed. Hopefully can go on Wednesday though. The Bergara and the Howa are the two I want to try and hold. I keep reading good things about them

Cant speak for the Bergara, but the Howa, is the best value for money, in my opinion. Its really amazing how well they shoot out of the box! They are just not as nicely finished as Sako etc…The machining/grinding just isnt as nice. Cycling the bolt of the Howa will sound like a violin compared to a Sako.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Went to Centreway today to check out the Bergara & Howa. The Howa bolt wasn’t too bad, but I was not a big fan of the stock. The hogue stock that it came with was kinda squishy, and was really flexible.

The Bergara was really nice though. Nice stiff synth stock which was really comfy, and bolt travel was really smooth. Wasn’t heavy as well; though it isn’t quite as light as a Tikka, the weight was balanced really well, so I didn’t notice it too much.

Well worth the extra $150 or so over the Howa, and felt just as nice as the Tikka at my LGS to me (in my very beginner opinion), so it’s what I went with in the end.

@AusTac, cheers for the suggestion, would have never heard of them otherwise. I owe you a drink next time you’re in Melbourne.

Now time to play the PTA waiting game. John estimated 3 weeks. :cry:

4 Likes

Seriously? My tikkas are heavier! Maybe its point of balance?

Good on you for getting a nice gat though! Kill that deer and call it names!