Hands on review of Savage A22R rifle

I must have taken that trigger group apart, spring by spring, clip by clip a dozen times. I must say, I’ve never had any issues with mine. And I found that it loves pretty much any ammo. Not ejecting last round is a bit odd, because it’s same-same, maybe try a different brand. I noticed that some ammo that was awesome in bolt action gave me failure to eject time after time (Federal). They seem to be a little wider in diameter than others. Can feel it when loading Alfa. Try a different brand…

There’s another slick you can do as well. I’ll need to review those xrays and show you. But all in all, it’s not the springs you touch. The lever needs to push the bar over the hammer and compress the hammer tension spring for the bolt to come home. There’s zero that can be done there, stopping short of new weaker tension springs, which would probably lighten the lever release but give you failure to fire. What you have now can be slicked a tiny bit more, but all in all that’s it. Enjoy. It’s a really fun gun.

FYI.
This was specific to MDT chassis, but worth knowing about and watching the video.

I saw that issue on Ozzie. I tested out the safety release as Ozzie suggested and had no issues. There is a fair bit of creep in the trigger. If NIOA is not just removing the inner spring dou you think they would be fitting a different spring altogether?

I could put it all back and organize for them to do the mods. Then it would be obvious what they are doing, after photographing all the internals.

Doubt it, but who knows.

One thing I did not like the look of was about 1/2cm from muzzle end the bore on the barrel has a nasty mark / cut all the way around the rifling the crown is also pretty ragged. I will post a picture up soon. Having a little bit of an issue recording video / pictures.

I might try a little bit of polishing on this part.

So I sent these photos to NIOA and they agree the bore is unacceptable and they would like to replace the gun.

Not sure just how the logistics are going to go. The GS is not exactly just down the road.

At least they are backing it up. Is the GS expecting this?

Its all information that I literally sent last night and received an email back today. So I really dont know. I have just set them an email Re logistics.

I think the bore scope has just saved me a potential headache and paid for itself.

NIOA cant be faulted they have got onto this quick as and although I dont know how long it will take to resolve at least its going to be a swap over, not an attempt to fix or cut a bit off ect.

So at this stage NIOA are in the good books. Shit can always happen its how and who has to pick it up that sets companies apart.

1 Like

sungazer, here’s my thought on the matter.
Australian consumer law applies to ALL goods purchased, which must be “of merchantable quality”, in other words “fit for purpose”. It even applies to motor vehicles, of which there has been cases where the dealer/vendor have been dragged kicking and screaming to the court where adjudication has found in favour of the aggrieved purchaser. Goods must be Of Merchantable Quality and Fit For Purpose!
In all cases, it is the vendor who has responsibility to make good any deficiencies in the “fit for purpose” umbrella.
The fact that NIOA have agreed that the bore is unacceptable and that they would like to replace it is a great starting position. At least the importer is standing by his product.
Where does that leave you? My take on this is that your GS, the vendor even though not “local”, is the entity with ultimate responsibility. Your claim is against that GS, who fortunately will be supported by NIOA. It should be a simple process to exchange your rifle on a “Like for like” basis (no PTA required, Qld) and the vendor returns the faulty product to NIOA.

Lovin it, 10 shots each, the targets are those 6-per sheet ones, about 10cm diameter and only 25m but damn it’s satisfying.
I’m not gonna show the offhand ones :laughing:
I’ve gotta clean the A22, starting to jam - FTE and FTL

4 Likes

Thanks for splitting it mate @juststarting

1 Like

Hey @mickhead

I have recently had misfire issues with my A22R,
After striping it down I have found a shorn roll pin exactly as you have pictured.

Did you replace the retaining pin yourself and if so do you recall the exact size used?

Cheers

G’day @Western.kiwi & welcome to the Lobby.

If you use @ before the name of the person you are trying to tag, they will get a notification to respond next time they log on.

More likely to get direct response from specific members if you do this…

Like:
@juststarting
@bentaz
Etc…
:nerd_face::+1:

Hope you enjoy the forum, bud :+1:

2 Likes

Hi @Western.kiwi

That pin is less of a pin and more of a rolled piece of tin. Imagine if you rolled a strip of an aluminum can that you cut up into a pin… That’s the type of pin that’s used in that bolt.

Your best bet would be to call NOIA, explain the situation and have them suggest a local dealer they work with to have the gun shipped for repair. should be free, because this stuff shouldn’t happen ever.

1 Like

@Gwion cheers for the welcome & advice,

This forum has been educating.

Cheers.

1 Like

Cheers for the advice @juststarting

From what I have gathered from this forum and other resources online this is not an uncommon issue with the A22r but probably had a bit to do with operator error…

Before I discovered snap caps to clear the rifle for storage I would remove magizine then I would hold the bolt handle half way back or just before it latched and pull the trigger and release the bolt back to resting position so it was properly unloaded and not to have spring tension for any length of time

The rifle is less than 12months old and has fired approximately 2000 rounds,
As mentioned above the misuse of the bolt or occasional dry firing is more than likely what has caused this failure and I was hoping a simple roll pin replacement would have it functioning correctly again soon.

That’s all bullshit self-justification, it’s not your fault. It’s just a poopy quality gun. Pretty much what happened to mine. Actually, I had a couple of issues, one being this, the other a swaged firing pin that resulted in failure to extract live round when manually opening the bolt and of course misfires due to said issue. . It’s just the quality… Call the shop and get it shipped for repair. You are not the first or the last.

1 Like