W.W Greener Martini Shotgun’s
Based on the Martini–Henry service rifle the Greener shotgun is a breech-loading, single-shot lever-actuated falling block,a design that first entered service with the British Empire in 1871.
The Greener Police Gun came into existence shortly after WW1 , it was chambered in a special round designed and produced exclusively for it. The 12-14ga shells made the shotgun useless to anyone who stole it, because the shell stepped down from 12ga to 14ga in the middle of the chamber standard 12ga shotgun shells wouldn’t chamber. They also incorporated a trident style firing pin matched by a rebate in the head of the case, attempting to fire standard shells if you did manage to squeeze them in wouldn’t work because the two outer pins prevented the firing from striking the primer.
The Police Shotguns were used mostly by prison guards and colonial troops for riot control, but were also produced commercially in limited numbers. Despite the design being well and truly an antique it can still be found in the hands of troops in some developing country today as seen here in Burma.
The success of the Police Gun led Greener to develop the Greener GP single-barreled shotgun firing standard 12-bore ammunition, which was a staple for British gamekeepers and economy minded shooters. It was produced up until the 1960s and is still used today by many hunters including myself.