Firearm Prototyping License / Permit

Say I want to get into designing firearm actions, which neccesitates prototyping, but I don’t want to go to jail for making “ghost guns”. What licence / permit do I need?

Also, and I presume not, but if I want to design and make firearm accessories, like side mounted shell holders, or bullet quivers, I don’t need a licence / permit, right?

I’m in VIC if that matters at all, and no I haven’t started, just checking if it’ll be worth my while. From what I’ve read, I’d need a Dealer or Gunsmith licence / permit.

Short answer, no clue.
Longer answer, I am 110% you would need some sort of a licence, I think even to start sketching stuff like that.
Everything else, plastic fantastic stands, holders, trays and what not… I presume not. It’s not a licence-required part that you can by from anywhere, so yeah.

1 Like

From memory - & don’t quote me on this, I am neither lawyer or expert - manufacturers licence required for any registrable part (which may vary from state to state). Ie: if it needs a serial number on it, you need a manufacturing licence to make it (registered gunsmith).

1 Like

Just an observation, but most of the companies I’m aware of that make firearms in Oz are in Qld which leads me to believe it might be easier to get the licensing up thete.

1 Like

Fair enough, I’m not moving from Afdanistan though.

The only way to get the exact requirements would be to ask someone actually in the know at your weapons branch in Vic. It might be worth emailing Shooters Union with the question too, they may have some insight into what you need or even have a helpful contact for you.

1 Like

Sent this off to LRD VIC, I’ll post here when I get a response.

To Whom It May Concern,

Could you please send me information about which licence or permit I would need to manufacture serialized firearm parts?

Could you also send me information about which non-serialized firearm accessories if any, I may manufacture without a licence or permit?

The context for the above questions are that I want to assess whether it’s worth my while to start a manufacturing business.

Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

Regards,
Johann

2 Likes

So I got this response from LRD. Seems to make serialised parts I need to be a Firearms Dealer, and no mention of non-serialised parts, so they’re not concerned about that.

Dear Johann,

Licensing & Regulation Division (LRD) is in receipt of your e-mail in relation to the manufacture of firearm parts.

Please be advised that in order to manufacture serilised parts you must be granted a Licensed Firearms Dealer licence for which you will need to provide LRD with the following:

1. A resume outlining your relevant firearms and business experience;
  2. A Business Plan – endorsed by a financial consultant or accountant; and
  3. A proposed Standard Operating Procedure

If applicable:

1. Insurance extract
  2. Council permission to conduct proposed activities.

These would be required if you already have a premises from which to conduct your business. LRD would advise against outlaying significant capital or entering into contracts or agreements without first obtaining approval for a licence.

Once the minimum requirements are met you will be invited to attend at LRD for a knowledge test and an informal interview.

Then the proposed premises will need to be inspected to ensure storage requirements are met and only then will a licence be issued.

Upon receiving the above information LRD will then make an assessment and advise you of an initial determination. An application may then be forwarded to you for completion based on the information that you provide.

For definitions of firearm parts and accessories please refer to the webiste and or in the Firearms Act 1996.

Please be advised that under the requirements of a licence and/or permit, an individual licence holder must notify the Licensing and Regulation Division in writing within 14 days of any changes to residential, postal or firearm ordinary storage addresses. Penalties apply for failing to notify in writing of a change of certain details.

Get in touch about firearms licensing through our online enquiry form.

For enquires requesting application processing updates and approval time frames, please review the status of current applications.

For general information, please refer to the firearms and private security webpages. Our webpages contain information on topics relating to licensing requirements, access to application forms and guides by visiting ourcontact page

For further information regarding the requirements, please refer to our website www.police.vic.gov.au or telephone (03) 8533 0004, between 9am-12pm, Monday to Friday.

Yours sincerely,
Licensing & Regulation Division

1 Like

Does anyone have a visual of what the serialised parts are, on both a pistol and a rifle as examples?

Should be outlined in your state regs, mate. :nerd_face::+1:

1 Like