Collectable ammo

@juststarting They still look interesting though!

Hey, pew pew is pew pew :slight_smile:

I go all over the place, I’ll be going through Ballarat in the next couple of weeks. I think they are up bush anyway, closer to you than me at the moment.
Though I was going to suggest that whichever of us (out of me and JS) gets the new savage first would maybe give the other a shot out at Springvale.

Baikal was the generic trading name the USSR used for exports of firearms and ammo, it only exists on their export stuff, in English. “Baikal” stuff was made all over the place.

1 Like

Either way mate, im happy to meet up in ballarat or somewhere just let me know when or if your coming out.

So, while I was in the cave, I thought, we are doing old ammo, ay? Let’s do old ammo than. I my have posted some of these stuff before, but I am doing a photo dump now, so whatever.

Random 7.62x54R and British 303 rounds

6.5×52mm Carcano

some lose stuff I had

…and a box :slight_smile:

IMG_0601
…and inside the box :slight_smile:

…aaaand what happens when you pick up the box upside down.

577-450 Martini

7.62x54R

this needs no introduction

IMG_0624
and neither does this. Unfortunately this is how I got it, with a bit of paint, but whatever, adds to the utilitarian look.

Pakistani 303
IMG_0607

IMG_0610

8x56R

IMG_0579

IMG_0582

So you see, Julie Andrews was right all along, that gun nut!

"Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things"

2018-09-03_22-55-46

Turns out, this is not a meme, it’s a documentary! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Just met up with @Wombat for a dodgy Macca’s arms deal, thanks mate they will be well cared for.

No worries, sorry I was pushed for time today.

1 Like

Alright, so here’s a better view of those old commie (Baikal) shells… Inhereted a box from his Shotgunnniness @GUN-DMC

Made in the USSR, pretty neat!

…also, on the way home dropped by Sunbury gun shop to pick up some AP70N powder and because they are open on Sunday and this must be encouraged! And noticed an inconspicuous looking box behind the counter… what is this good Sir I asked?

$19 well spent me thinks.

The ‘MQ’ stamp is the bit that I thought is cool (http://www.acant.org.au/Articles/Headstamps.html). Not sure what ‘VII’ means.

1 Like

“VII” is the Mark stamp, it indicates you have Mk 7 ammo. $19 is a steal, $20 of ammo these days, and $12 of chargers. Can’t beat that for a deal, Cheers.

I was moving some stuff around tonight and decided to take a peek at old 303 ammo I have squirrelled away. I have banana bender (above) and Pakistani ammo that I have identified. I also have a bunch of lose rounds… So I decided to geek out a little bit and look up their head-stamps. Most are from 1956.

MF
Small Arms Ammunition Factory No 1, Footscray, Melbourne, Australia.

RG
Royal Ordnance Factory, Radway Green, Cheshire, UK. This factory was part of the 1939 - 45 war emergency expansion plans being situated near Crewe and is still in operation. Production of the .303 cartridge commenced in 1940 and the last known production of this cartridge was in 1973.

GB
Greenwood and Batley, Leeds, UK. This company manufactured Ammunition from an early stage, finally ceasing production in the late 1950s. They had a filling factory at Abbey Wood and later during the 1939-45 war a filling factory at Farnham.

KF
Indian Government Ammunition Factory Kirkee (or Kirkee Arsenal).

K57
This one I am not sure about, but it’s highly likely that it was made in (or I didn’t read the stamp correctly):

• One of the ‘Imperial Chemical Industries Kynoch’ factories; or
  • Indian Government Ammunition Factory Kirkee (or Kirkee Arsenal).

G’day juststarting,
K57 is Kynoch Birmingham, 1957. What is the rest of the stamp please?

Apparently the ammo made at Footscray in 1956 was not very good. Again I only have a little bit of the story. I will ask and double check the year if your interested.

I’ll look it up.

Yeah, but it’s a neat keepsake… I wouldn’t shoot any of that old stuff anyway.

@Nomis I feel like you need to explore this thread :wink:

Uhhhhh I don’t think that’s a good idea. Could end badly.

@Nomis if by badly you mean, you’d have some cool ammo, yes. :slight_smile:

So, as you know, I am tinkering with 303-25, but you see, I have this little, tiny really, OCD. I need to have some original ammo for each firearm I own from that time period. 7.5x55 Swiss is my white whale. Sort of like Pokemon. anyway, being that I am tinkering with 303-25, I wanted some ammo, which, shall we say is not the easiest thing to find. About as common as… Well, it’s just not freaking common! Especially when I am after a factory box! And then I came across this dude online, turns out he’s really close, told me that he sold off everything he had (common calibres to his surplus) and this is what’s left - so I should drop by and pick it up, for free :astonished: I did supplement his ammo stash, with something he wanted and I had, I felt too guilty to just grab it for free and he threw in some other stuff he had no use for (you’re welcome, @bentaz). So, here’s my loot from tonight (so freaking happy, so, so happy)!

Oooo what do we have here, ay?!

The first unobtanium is 303-25 IMI - 3/4 of a box.

The second unobtanium is 303-25 super - full box.

Fuck yeah!

3 Likes