Coked-up shooter': Police seize guns, drugs on day one of duck season

Source: 'Coked-up shooter': Police seize guns, drugs on day one of duck season

FFS… Really!!!

Police have seized guns and drugs from a recreational duck hunter from Melbourne and suspended his game shooting licence after finding him with illicit drugs during the opening weekend of the hunting season.

Footage taken on Saturday near a lake at St Helens Plains, south-east of Horsham, shows police descending on the area before conducting a body search of one of the men and questioning him over an item found inside his ute.

Matt, a witness who asked for his surname to be withheld, said he was in the area to monitor the opening day of the restricted season when he saw two men snorting white powder before they shot at birdlife at Lake Taylor on Saturday morning.

He said he called police and filmed as they arrived.

“I was there with the Coalition Against Duck Shooting to quietly monitor the hunters to make sure they were following rules and very quickly observed two men snorting white powder off a small picnic table. They then continued to hunt and be in control of firearms," Matt said.

“We called the police who intercepted them as they left and pulled a bag of white powder from the front passenger areas of the car.

“The police later told us it was cocaine.”

A Victoria Police spokeswoman confirmed police were called to St Helens Plains and spoke to two hunters off Fischers Road about 8.30am on Saturday.

“A 21-year-old Hillside man received a diversion for possessing a drug of dependence and had his guns seized and gun licence suspended,” they said.

“The second man was released without charge.”

Police searching a duck hunter and questioning him over the alleged discovery of white powder in his car near Horsham on Saturday morning.

Animal welfare advocates are calling for an immediate suspension to the duck hunting season, labelling the incident, and other alleged breaches in the state’s wetlands, a serious “disregard for law”.

They said other footage captured over the weekend near Ballarat and Bendigo allegedly showed duck shooters stacking into boats, gathering in groups of more than 10, using public barbecues and camping – all of which are against current COVID-19 restrictions.

Animal Justice Party member Andy Meddick said shooters were also captured failing to kill injured ducks, with one even throwing a live bird into a boat to be set upon by two dogs.

“This evidence shows it’s not just our native waterbirds at risk of duck shooters, it’s the safety of all Victorians at risk of crossing paths with coked-up shooters on our public wetlands and on our public roads,” Mr Meddick said.

Police arrive at Fishers Road, Mount Helens Plains.

“It’s clear that the drug-taking shooters had two options: breach camping restrictions for an overnight stay or get in their cars and drive home. Both put the community at risk, both are illegal.

“Daniel Andrews has no other choice… he must cancel the 2020 duck shooting season.”

The Game Management Authority and the Premier’s office have been contacted for comment.

And this one https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2020-05-20/daylesford-farmer-says-hunters-attacked-her-pigs/12262182

This is why we can’t have nice things.

Yeah… Upsetting to say the least. Although, I would bet that a lot of those people would have been 4x4 and trail bike riders… Regardless… Disgusting.

Bloody infuriating to say the least. Worst thing is the media and leftards will have a field day with this, no doubt using it to portray the hunting community as villains. Glad these blokes have lost their firearms, at least that way they can’t do any more damage to our already perceived, and unjustified bad reputation.

1 Like

All i can do is shake my head and face palm. Fuckwits like these just empower the antis and give credence to their rantings.

4 Likes

Unfortunately the world is full of fuck wits.

1 Like

Also, I’ve never been duck hunting (or done coke for that matter) but I would think that doing coke at the start of an activity which requires you to sit quietly in one spot is quite counterproductive.

3 Likes

Rofl :crazy_face:

Throw the whole library at the bastards. It’s not “illegal hunting” it’s poaching and criminal behaviour.

3 Likes

I feel the same way about gettimg stoned and doing anything at all; whats the bloody point?

I am pretty sure that’s the stoner attitude. What’s the bloody point. LOL

1 Like

When I first got to the NT, I knocked around with some “hunters” who liked to get sped up and chase pigs with their dogs. Poor dogs were so badly treated. Not unusual for these guys to lose at least one every second trip. It put me off dog hunting and I learned to stalk which is about as rewarding as looking at pigs with binos really. But I still gets a couple!! Plus I notice things that everyone else misses.

That said, I recently made buds with a guy who has complete control and connection with his dogs. Wow.