BOOKS: Great old gun books(free library)

Hey guy and gals, been using an awesome free online library for old gun related material, this link was shared to me from a gunsmith friend of mine from the states, and I found it pretty useful when I was trying to find frank dehaas and amateur gunsmithing books and such. I hope you’d enjoy it as much as myself. https://archive.org/

4 Likes

That’s great mate, thanks for sharing.:+1:

1 Like

Going further down the rabbit hole of bluing… I knew of this book, but finding one, not so easy. In one of my late-night browsing sessions I landed on a US site selling this book from an AU vendor. A little WTF… But let’s give this a go. Some Old/second-hand book shop somewhere. Thought, okay, well, let’s give this a go. didn’t ask for payment, just said the seller will invoice, so what’s there to lose. About 4 days (and $135 smackaroos) later I am holding it… Pristine condition, looks, feels and smells like the 1930’s original (double cool).

Very pleased. Can’t wait to science harder now!

3 Likes

Now you get to go to the chemical shop any buy some potassium nitrate.

Yeah, maybe not…

Are you going to find another nitrate or that you aren’t going to do it ?

I need to read through it, there are a lot of formulas in there. And a couple of people I contacted (YouTubers that do that stuff) suggested formulas that don’t include it. Only got the book last night lol. Need time to read first :slight_smile:

My mate uses it for his bluing, can get a bit crusty after sitting for a while but other than that not too bad. If you’re only doing small parts you can use cast iron camping ovens. He also made a barrel tank similar to the cover of the book.

I’ve been using a steam pipe, instead of a tank.

…but I might make a tank. All to be decided :slight_smile: This is a pretty big jump for me from using a solution someone made to doing it myself.

1 Like

I keep my eyes out for SS wash troughs but they arent cheap…

Let’s keep this thread about books.

UPDATE
In second inspection, seems like I’m the culprit. Will have to move all this to the books thread. Ooop.

I love the old reloaders digest books…