Bolt vs semi - accuracy discussion.

The longest sniper kill shot (excluding the recent Ukraine one because they are bullshit artists)

Was it with a bolt gun or semi?

I wonder if prs stipulates rules about rifle actions or divisionsā€¦ i cant see how getting of many rounds in short period of time with a high capacity clipazine of death would be ignored. And it would disadvantage bolt actionshooters. I recon theres something in the rules.

Looks to be a bolt gunā€¦The jury is still out for meā€¦3.8km 9 second bullet flight, more luck than skillā€¦

1 Like

Most are just harassing fire that happen to contact. Well thatā€™s what the books say.

2 Likes

There is a gas division but i donā€™t believe the scores coming from them are at the top.

If thatā€™s the case, could it be more tradition than and numbers, vs quality - in a sense where there are just more people so technically youā€™d have better scores?

Like this entire thing here feels like some sort of logical fallacy without technical comparison.

Given our crappy countries laws, maybe we should do a precision comparison against one of the Aussie straight pulls or pumps like the wedgetail in a good calibre against a similar priced bolt gun.

Maybe a cz 515 against cz 457 of we wanted to do a 22 comparison.

Not sure about centrefires.

Stock 457 would be hard, very different barrels. Either a lot longer or a lot thicker. But there is merit to that. Maybe something like Ruger American Compact vs 515 Tactical, or stock Ruger American vs 515 American, those would be comparable. Or even Savage A22R instead of 515. That would actually be pretty similar to stock 457. Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

As I said my Opinion is that the Chamber size is a differentiating factor when it comes to accuracy. I base this not on comparisons between Bolt actions and Semi Auto actions but comparisons between bolt guns. In all my data the tighter the chamber the more accurate the rifle. Actions do contribute to this and differences can be seen between two, three and 4 locking lugs and just how rigid and solid the action is.

I hear you say if this was a factor it would be regulated in competitions. Well it is. For instance if you compete in the Full Boar comp at Bisley they have Chamber specifications and a gauge block that they use to test the guns. They also issue the ammo to be used no personal reloads.

1 Like

CZ v CZā€¦ the barrel length or weight will make far less difference in a 22lr than manufacturing standard variances between companies.

& Iā€™m totally with @sungazer & @MaxJon ā€¦ simple engineering & design requirements for semi autos mean that they will never achieve the same level of precision as a bolt; allowing for equal levels of quality, fit, and all thatā€¦

1 Like

Surely someone knows a farmer with a 10/22 to tast ruger v ruger.

I know a guy with 10/22 but donā€™t know anyone with anothe ruger to test against.

22lr will be a tricky one also; given their propensity to be fussy on ammo. Are you testing ammo preference/availability or action type?

Maybe the straight pull/lever release 223 suggestion is better, using a reliable ammo type like OSA or something.

I have never seen a precise 10/22 but they were all farm guns that came through the shop.

Well, cheap ruger bolt v cheap ruger semiā€¦ fair comparison.

Decent mid range lever release (CZ) v decent mid range bolt (CZ), also fair comparisonā€¦.

Youā€™d have to test the 22lr off 5 or more types of ammo & take an aggregated average group size.

Sounds like a job for PLINKFEST!!!

2 Likes

Nah mate there has never been that amount of structure or concentration. Just shoot the steel and make it plink is a bout as sophisticated as it gets.

3 Likes

If you spend enough money you can make anything as good or better.

In practical use, the bolt action is where the development for accuracy at range is being spent. One day, an Elon Musk of gas blocks will come and make an AR15 that everybody can afford shoot better groups than modifield long range target rifles, then he will buy this gun forum for 45bn dollars and let users shipost without fear. Then Mossad will get the shit take him to the wailing wall to say sorry and he will come back and moderate it just like it was in the old days, except your mums car now does 0-400m in the nines and everybody shoots .25 moa at 2 miles.

3 Likes

We can only dream!

I should leave this alone But thought I would add. Another accuracy design feature is to not have a huge hole in the bottom of the action. This goes for bolt actions and semis. The real reason that single feeding is a thing in target shooting is the actions dont take mags. :smile: because they are more accurate when they are stiffer and stronger.

1 Like

No you shouldnā€™t :smiley: