Backyard builder , Part 3 (updated again)

Ha, already got a few rellies lined up for my services.
Funny thing, all my sister’s in law and wife’s friends were a bit sceptical. (Don’t know why, never fked up or incompleted a project.) Now they all want a new shed/office.
Wife’s she shed should look close to this when done.

Exterior will be 2.7mx4.2 metres.
Will give me an internal measurement of 2.5x4 or exactly 10m2.

1 Like

Ordered the colourbond, getting it cut to size. Cutting colourbond, even with dads borrowed electric tinshears is a sh1t job, guaranteed to cut yourself at least once.
Windspray walls and Surfmist roof.
For the rest of us that’s grey walls and a sandy tan roof. Missus wanted a red door but is now having second thoughts. Dad is keen to show off his skills and make a solid timber door.
As a side note lads, is there anything better than passing on knowledge to the younglings.
I’m grateful for what dad has taught me and I’m enjoying teaching my young fellas how to use the battery drill for screws and how to use a tape measure etc. Rang the old man a few times to ask advice etc. Circle of life.

5 Likes

Mate nothing beats time like that with your kids, except maybe teaching them to shoot!

1 Like

Pissing down with rain and howling wind yesterday (Saturday) so I’ve been set back by a day. No matter, will have it finished next weekend. Got all the walls and roof on so it’s mostly weatherproof. Just need to put the ridge cap and corner flashing on.

Two poly opaque panels on the back side.

Patented tin sheet lifter upperer.

Gaps in the corners will be covered by flashing.
Coming along quite nicely.
The sides of the roof are currently undecided. Possibly corrugated tin running horizontal or painted fibro. Missus has creative control on colours and features so we will see.

2 Likes

Nearly there
Got the flashing and end boards on. Got most of the shelving done and the tool wall. Now weather proof. Just needs a door, old man says he will bring it next week. Just needs some paint here and there and final tweeks and adjustments.

Then emptied out and pulled down the old shed. Ready to build the she shed.

Getting there.

1 Like

Looking good mate.
I’ve been doing a bit of shed building myself, ill have to take some pics.

That is pretty flash cutting the parts out on the shelves to fit the frame. They are all just such a perfect fit no gaps. Very jealous that I cant do things with such craftsmanship. How did you go about that part of the build?

1 Like

You just mark out the shape. Drill a hole big enough for a jigsaw blade in the corner, cut in from the sides, then use the hole to cut across the top. If you want it really neat and square , drill the hole slightly inboard then square up the corner once you have cut it.

The shelves were a bit of a bastard. Full 3.6 metres long. And because I’m stubborn I refused to cut them in half to make fitting easier. I didn’t want the join. Damn heavy. I’m a bit sore now. So long in fact I had to put them all inside the frame and lift them up. Otherwise they were too long to squeeze in around the framework.
I do tend to do things the hard way if I know it’s the right way for long term satisfaction.

2 Likes

Looking very good, bet you can’t wait to move into it.

Ha, nah got the mancave for that.

Not the best photo but it’s nice to reside in.

3 Likes

Door is on, good work from Dad. I mounted it this afternoon. Just primed for now. Bought some paint and other bits. Weather was shit all day. Still need to square up and properly attach all flashing. Door handle is fitted.

Also resupplied more material for part 2 of the backyard Reno. Good fun but hard on the back and shoulders at times.

6 Likes

Good work mate!