Anyone hunting with thermal?

Welcome to the forum Gscithermal I dont have any thermal gear as yet would love too after seeing through one once I can see how it is a game changer. Good to have someone here with your thermal experience across devices and brands. Even as more people get into thermal I dont think many have the experience of multiple units to really make comparisons.

Thanks sungazer…would not by any stroke of the imagination say im an expert in this field…I have however had a bit to do with them over the years…Happy to share my thoughts, and experiences with those that are interested…I have taken literally hundreds of thermal videos of all sorts of interesting situations involving a variety of game, both lethal and non lethal over the time i have been using thermal…Its a whole new world out there when you can see whats about up to and beyond a couple of kms…

3 Likes

There are a variety of different targets you can use when sighting in thermals…heat patches, alfoil, alstrips…really anything that will conduct heat is suitable…My go to is alfoil folded up about 5 times into an inch square…
Thermal works just as well on the other end of the spectrum also, meaning picks up cold as well as heat…
Here is a clip i took shooting at the end of a coke can of frozen water at 100m…

Pretty sure there are at least a couple… @Gregfiddich @Brett

At least one good thing came out of Covid. The Chinese developed a 1280 thermal sensor for checking peoples temps and it has now been added to a rifle sight. The sensor has double the resolution meaning a really big field of view. Still has a 12 micron pixel and 25mk sensitivity so technically can’t actually identify anything more than a 640 sensor but I think it provides more opportunity to play with lenses and zooms.

oh wow, bargain basement right there :crazy_face:

For a chinese scope, yeah. Would pay that for a GSCI but.

The GSCI TWS 3100 would be around that sort of money…