Anyone hunting with thermal?

@CAVOK Yeah mate. Pretty much all the time.

1 Like

Pulsar Thermion XP38 @Brett. I got it a few months ago, I have however seen them a touch cheaper. I got a couple of spare batteries also.

1 Like

I have to remember this, I’ll be looking for a thermal scanner in the next few months, I’ll be really keen to pick your brains (e.g. pros and cons of mono vs binocular), and would always prefer to buy through someone I know. :slight_smile:

No worries, I do mates rates :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thoughts on thermal binocular vs monocular ? I have a entry level IR monocular and the viewing through one eye thing gets old real quick…

I use a axion thermal monocular. Never used binoculars before but by only using one eye with the monocular you can see a lot better with the other eye when you’re walking around the paddock at night.

1 Like

Kind of like this

1 Like

:+1: Exactly thanks for putting Up the vid. That would be the biggest down fall for me using binos that I wouldn’t be able to walk around without a torch on.
But if you were on the back of a ute or something I’d reckon that the binos would be more comfortable.

That does make a pretty strong case for monocular hey

My takeaway from this was, we need more nets!

What targets / methods are you blokes using to zero your thermal scope? Have watched a few clips on the tube, however would like to draw on any actual experience on here.

I use the aluminium duct or sarking tape for mine as it is convenient but anything shiny should work. Not sure on the real science but it reflects the temp of the atmosphere so shows cool instead of hot.

The smaller squares work okay

but I also have one of those birchwood casey self heal targets that I cover the face in tape as below.
SmartSelect_20190306-193847_VLC

How do you go seeing your fall of shot mate? My scope needs to see where they landed so you can adjust the reticle.

I either walk up or use binos to confirm point of impact. Then i can freeze frame my point of aim and then adjust to where the shot hit or i just move it the required amount of “clicks” for how far off i am.

I haven’t find anything yet that gave me point of impacts that could be seen through the scope clear enough to adjust. Some people say gongs are good because they show the hot spot from the bullet but I’ve never tried.

Mate thank you for the info sincerely appreciated.

1 Like

Today is a good day

4 Likes

This method works good Pulsar Trail 2 XP50 LRF - How to Zero - YouTube

Oh very nice mate. :+1:t2:

Happy days

Yeah gday fellas…new to this forum…Im heavily into thermal gear…been using it for 7-8 years now…Have 4 thermal scopes, anPulsar XQ50 monocular and a set of Accolade pro XP50 thermal bonculars…My choice of thermal scopes after trying out several brands like Pulsar, nighttech etc is GSCI…Currently running an S350TI on a 308, an S675TI on a 22-250 and an S6100 on my 204…I have a Pulsar XP50 trail 2 on my 22…Thermal is an absolute game changer…When i started out in the world of thermal, my first scope was a Pulsar Apex XD75, there were very few brands to choose from, and very few people had them…now there is a huge variety of brands to choose from and nearly every second bloke has one…There are some rubbish out there, and depending on budget, there are some top notch bits of gear…I have found that, like everything, as technology improves, quality gets better…Really is a buyers market out there now…