Anyone have experience with .45 Long Colt

G’day fellas,
Sorry for the late reply, currently in the U.S, just finished at the NRA Silhouette Nationals.
I would only look at the '73 if you plan on using light loads. Yes I know it’s a modern replica but the action is still not a strong one. The 24" barrel gives a better sight radius and the '73 is a real smooth, classic rifle. Maybe one day you’ll want to have a go at lever gun silhouette and there were plenty of them on the line here this week.
I’ve had a '94 in .45L.C, it can be loaded light and accurate with cast bullets.
Forget about wasting money on a “Crappa”.
They look good but are a piece of shit when it comes to accuracy and reliability.
I actually had to grab one out of a blokes hands at a match once, he was on the backswing about to wrap it around a post.

1 Like

Appreciate all the responses. Much as the 73 was a good price, I just don’t really want a 45lc.
I have a 45/70 to sling large slugs with.
I wanted the zip , range and low cost of a .357
So to avoid compromise and regret I bit the bullet and got what I originally wanted.
Sourced a brand new Winchester 92 in .357
From South west shooting supplies
$1540 delivered.
Should have it in a week or so.

2 Likes

Booooootiful.

Photos!

1 Like

Nice, the price is nice too considering what the usual retail has been lately. Should be enormous fun!

Cleaver did slightly better on retail but postage put it behind. Three other shops all quoted around $1750-$1800.
Hummed and haaahed for a while. I like the Chiappa and Rossi rifles but the negative energy towards them makes them too hit and miss. I knew in the end, the only way to be satisfied was cough up the premium price and get exactly what I was after.
Hopefully it’s a sweet shooter.

4 Likes

Following…I like the 45 long colt too!!

Glad I bought the Pedersoli then…I nearly bought an 1860 Spencer crappa

Might have some 45 Colt dies somewhere, if anyone is interested.

I am so confused @MaxJon - first you are after 357 lever, then you decided that 45LC is better… So you abandon the lever, season ended on a cliff hanger. Then you opened the new season with a little number in 45LC. But! Now you are selling the dies for a calibre you bought, but don’t have it yet? I feel like I missed an episode somewhere?

1 Like

I came across 2 sets of 45 dies 5/8" and 7/8" sets…not sure which press I will use to load for the colt yet, so I may have a spare set, I will not need…I do apologize for my indecision, but the rolling block won the contest. Lever is on the back burner at the moment. And I have a .357 lever, in some peoples eyes…its just single shot haha Its well n truly rolling block season mate!!

2 Likes

@bentaz understands rolling block season dont he??

Hell yeah brother!

1 Like