antique firearms?

Yeah, they used to do it regularly. Convert to 44-40. Why anyone would want to molest an original Henry is beyond me.

By that rationale all Martiniā€™s should be registered because some were converted to .303.

1 Like

Yep, firearms laws and logic are generally mutually exclusive.

Even state to state is ridiculous.
This side of a riverā€¦youā€™re fine, that side of a riverā€¦boom, cya in court hombre.

2 Likes

thats the same trouble ive been having im not a licence holder currently and most places will only ship dealer to dealer and the dealers want to cover their asses by registering everything im trying to wrap my head around it all still

Just get your licence then mate.

Your options are basically ā€œGet your licenceā€ or ā€œFind a shop that sells antiques as antiques, go there, and buy it off them in personā€.

might well have to was hoping to avoid the headache until i could get the 150kg safe but it seems im out of options any ideas on paperwork through covid i hear its a bit of an uphilll battle at the moment might need to do it sooner than later

You donā€™t need a safe to get your licence, not until you want to buy a Cat A/B.

Other places to buy are off people direct. If you go along to your local BP shooting range or day out. A lot of the people when I went to one were using antique rifles as you would expect, many unlicensed.

Wombat is correct in that gun safes over a certain weight do not require securing. However, antique firearms do have to be kept in a safe, even though they do not require a firearms license or registration.
Keith.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not accurate. Afaik.

If this is not accurate, please explain.
Keith.

States vary - In Victoria they do not have to be stored in a safe.

1 Like

Thank you. I assumed that as he accessed the NSW data base that he was in NSW. The information I supplied was & is correct for NSW.
Keith.

1 Like

In Queensland, antique longarms and ā€œpre-percussionā€ handguns are explicitly not weapons and do not need to be licensed, registered, or stored in a gun safe. Antique cap & ball revolvers do not need to be licensed or stored in a gun safe, but do need to be registered.

Yep, I concur with Keith. Original post was in relation to NSW, therefore it donā€™t matter for shit what happens in other states.

1 Like

Uhhh the beauty of NATIONAL firearms agreement.

2 Likes

About the only thing that the states agreed to was to fuck over LFOā€™s.

1 Like

Doesnā€™t matter, these interstate perspective on these things is important - especially because weā€™re talking about a year-old OP and people stumble across these threads via Google search and might get the wrong info if itā€™s not properly presented.

3 Likes